How are your Projects coming?

I haven't had my 1942 out since December, but expect ot get it out thi sweek. I have the week of the 21st off, so I hope to be working on it getting it spruced up for Salado. I have been working on non Packard projects. My 61 Metropolitan motor is in the shop, and parts are on order from Kip Motor in Dallas to get the drive train done. The starter has been repaired on the 29 Chrysler -now there appears to be a short in the car somewhere, and the 58 Edsel Convertible is home from display at the Van Horn Museum. It is at the shop getting wheel cylinders and hopefully a working parking break. Over the winter, both the 29 Chrysler and the 40 Plymouth got brake work done, and I fixed the speedometer on the Plymouth.

Hi Dave and all! Long time no post about my Panther project and other Packard topics. Between getting married (Oct 16, 2001), merging and financing my new wife and our two software businesses and funding dual residences in the meantime, it had taken all my energy and $. However, the light at the end of the tunnel is apparent (hopefully, not an oncoming train!). Sheri sold a bunch of her cool software and "we" should be able to get all the Packard V-8 parts "out of hock" from the machine shop in a couple of weeks and recommence the Panther project. Both Sheri and I are looking forward to it!

Hi Craig. Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing more about your progress with the Panther. I have my engine reassembeled and pending a few hoses, and bracket placement and so-forth i'm not far from finished.<BR>Dave: didnt know u had a 29 Chrysler. What model?

I picked up a 1929 Chrysler Model 65 roadster last fall from my dad. It has been in the family since 1968. It has the high compression head, and has been bored .030 so whould have quite a bit more than the origional listed 65 hp.

Congratulations Craig. I'm spending most of the time building a garage, what a job. Most of the outside is done, putting up the lap board now, next will be the 3 doors, then I can start on the inside, Oh joy what fun. The Packard is keeping warm in the garage under the house & goes out when the weather permits. Other then getting the wife's Jeep transported down here and keeping the other cars running, that's about it.

This is what I will be working on starting this spring. I am going to be putting a new water pump and heater core on the Chevelle. Since the Chevelle has manual steering and brakes, she is going to get powersteering and powerbrakes. This should make her alot more pleasant to drive. I should also be getting the Packard back in May. After completing work on the Chevelle I am going to pull the ultramatic. The trans needs new gaskets and seals real bad. The trans leaks like a basket strainer.

John The standard transmissions, and automatics used different gear ratios. The overdrive cars used even another one. That might be the difference.

I got a complete R-9 overdrive unit for my 1942 this week. Today I brought home the transmission and some of the parts, but still have the kick down switch, selonoid and wiring harness to take off the car and bring home. That should help her run cooler in the desert summers we have in El Paso.

Guest Randy Berger

John Packard, Why a gear-start rather than a 56 Twin/Ultra? As I understand it, you can bolt the T/U tranny up easily. The 54 gearstart seems to have a lot of problems.<BR>YFAM, Randy Berger

Guest Albert

Take a look in the parts book for the 54 and see just how many different rear ends where used, universials and drive shafts. My 54 special has a completely different rear axle than a deluxe with the same automatic, there are even differences in the width of the axles in 54.

The parts book lists the 3.54 to 1 ratio as standard for both the "Gear Start" and "Not Gear Start" type for the Patrician Model 5406. It also lists options of 3.07 to 1 and 3.23 to 1 for the Gear Start and the 3.23 to 1 for the Not Gear Start as well as several other ratios. These are all listed under different part numbers! I looked at the internal parts listings for the rear axle-carrier but don't find any differences listed between "Gear Start" and "Not Gear Start". I guess I will have to check what ratio was on the donor vehicle and what is on the recipient.<P>I am told that the '54 Gear Start is upgradeable to the '56 Twin Ultramatic standard. Peter Fitch's website has a great deal of information listed particularly parts listings for the '55 TU. Some folks simply run the Gear Start in the Drive position all the time. I do know that the donor vehicle was a lot more responsive than the recipient is, which I believe has a rebuilt standard Ultramatic installed.<P>Right now I'm restoring the rear axle carrier, leaf springs, and rear brakes. I sandblasted and painted pieces all day yesterday and have more to do today. I've located new replacement pads for the spring pads and shackle bushings as well as inner and outer seals and the associated gaskets.<P>I did the front suspension last fall and the car handles and rides great. Next step is to replace the '53 Left Rear door that was made to fit somewhere along the way in this car's history. Are we having fun yet?<P>jnp rolleyes.gif" border="0

One of my projects is replacing the pinion seal on my 40 120. Does anyone have a C/R, National, etc. seal number? I believe 40-54 is the same.

All: If our (Sheri & I) software sells like it seems to be happening, then we'll order a Packard-machined 700R-4 from Mike's Transmission in CA (old chatters will remember this thread) for the Panther rather than reusing the stock T-U. If this works out, then this will mean that I'll have two spare T-U's (condition of 2dr Clipper seems OK, 4-dr Exec is unknown). Also, I'll have personal knowledge of how this 700R-4 conversion works in a 55-56 Packard. In any case, a computer drag simulation resulted in one second (!) reduction in ET with the 700R4 v. the T-U. This should be interesting, to say the least.

I have the 42 in the shop for voltage regulator work. The battery keps running down. IN the mean time, I repared the rear end on the 29 Chrysler, got the dome light working on the 40 Plymouth, traded the Edsel convertible for a 76 Caddy Eldorado convertible, and should start on the Metropolitan wire harness tomorrow. Spring break is great, and now in fact it is spring!

Hi guys,<P>Some of you might recall from the other forum that I am a more or less daily lurker with a 1935 limousine that I bought as an unfinished project.<P>After concentrating most of my energies on other projects for some time, I'm finally making some headway on the '35. There was more rust damage to the engine and transmission than I'd hoped. Where have you all heard that before, right?<P>I ended up having to have the transmission rebuilt and got it installed a couple weeks ago. As I was checking the engine for rust damage, I found more rust in the intake ports than I was comfortable with, so I thought I might as well pull the upper block assembly and have hardened exhaust seats put in while the ports were being cleaned up. <P>My machinist got looking at the exhaust seats, and decided that they are undercut too close on the manifold side, so we decided to forgo the hardened seats. He cleaned up the seats and bowls under them and I have been putting the beast back together this week.<P>I got all of the valves back in night before last, and the pistons in last night. It's nice to see the thing finally going back together, instead of taking it further and further apart.<P>I'm also helping the neighbor across the street get a model t truck, that he bought as an unfinished project, put together.<P>Myron

Guest Albert

I'am hoping mine (54 clipper special) can be painted in the next couple of months, this will be the third year i have been working on the car now 3 years from a frame up. But will still have the crome to do, trying to clean up as much as possable before i send to the platers and just might be able to get more room in my living room once the seats get back into the car.

Yes the Eldorado has the 500 cid engine. I have a powerstearing hose on order; should have it today. I am anxious to drive it. Last week, we got the 42 Packard generator to charge, and are installing the horns. The windshield wipers and dash are now in the Metropolitan, and we are ready to install the windshield this week. 50 mph winds blowing dust everywhere here in the desert, and disasterous fires 2 hours to the north in New Mexico this weekend. Millions in damage there. The sandstorm is going to make for a major job in detailing the Packard for the Salaldo meet. My Dodge diesel gets 10 mpg pulling the 26' box trailer, so the increases in fuel prices recently are going to add a bit to the 1500 mile trip for the meet.

DaveF: Terrific that you're getting/got that 1976 Eldo Convert! Old time chatters may recall that I have a 1972 Eldo Coupe in addition to 3 1955-56 Packards. I really like it (the Eldo), although my wife Sheri thinks it's too gross. However, the Eldo is the only car we own that we agree that she can take her two big dogs to the "dog beauty parlor" in... since it's the least pristine. She won't take her dogs in her 1998 Jaguar Vanden Plas, so the Eldo was elected. <P>I just replaced the front disc brake pads on the Eldo today. Whatever engineer designed the upper control arm should be shot. Too hard to get the upper caliper bolt out. It eventually did come out with the help of a large hammer and actually went back in without being bent. grin.gif" border="0

All: Sheri & I will be visiting the engine machine shop (Motor Mission in Las Vegas) tomorrow AM to get all the Panther V-8 engine parts. I'll soon be updating my Panther website with digital pix of the details of the engine work. Also coming back will be refurbished front end parts for the Panther. It should be a rolling chassis in a few weeks. Old time chatters may recall that it will have 4-wheel disc brakes in addition to modern shocks. grin.gif" border="0