1942 Studebaker President Ambulance

Guest Aust42President

Guest Aust42President

Also posted under Studebaker !

I'm very fortunate to have rescued this from being scrapped last year - surprisingly reasonably complete - although requires full restoration.

This is a RHD  Australian bodied 1942 Studebaker President "8". Engine number B54327.

Originally an Ambulance, which, I would like restored as a "Flower Car" (because I'm a hearse enthusiast) and as the rear body has gone, this, I think, is the best solution and most practical.

Any history on this vehicle sought, period photographs and other Studebaker "Flower Cars" photographs around this period !

Also need many parts, steering wheel, front suspension parts, hubs, brakes, wheel assembly, road wheels, rear guards, Just to name a few!  (but US shipping is problem) ! 

All help and assistance greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Peter - 

NSW Australia

photos2_040.JPG

photos2_017.JPG

Any idea who built the body? Off hand I would expect it to be locally built on an imported chassis. Any sign of the frame being stretched as if they started with a standard sedan? In those days when they lengthened a frame it usually involved sawing it in half and bolting on a 3 foot length of channel iron to each side rail.

Guest Aust42President
7 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Any idea who built the body? Off hand I would expect it to be locally built on an imported chassis. Any sign of the frame being stretched as if they started with a standard sedan? In those days when they lengthened a frame it usually involved sawing it in half and bolting on a 3 foot length of channel iron to each side rail.

Probably built in Sydney - Possably "Olding" of Parramatta but I have no evidence  of this - Yet ! 

I'm certain this would have been imported in chassis form with front panel-work then completed here - standard practise for the Australian motor industry then. But there were some exceptions.

Chassis hasn't been lengthened - but it has been reinforced !! see photo

photos2_078.JPG

15 hours ago, Aust42President said:

Also posted under Studebaker !

I'm very fortunate to have rescued this from being scrapped last year - surprisingly reasonably complete - although requires full restoration.

This is a RHD  Australian bodied 1942 Studebaker President "8". Engine number B54327.

Originally an Ambulance, which, I would like restored as a "Flower Car" (because I'm a hearse enthusiast) and as the rear body has gone, this, I think, is the best solution and most practical.

Very interesting vechicle.  Not many cars sold privately in Australia in 1942

So rebuild to a ute (pick up)?  A lot of work

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Studebaker/1949.html