1927 engine removal tips

Guest drphartz

Guest drphartz

Hello! I'm in the process of removing my engine for repair. I have removed the radiator, headlights. I'm noticing the engine mounting plates on the front and rear, it looks like the gearbox and flywheel need to come off before the engine can come out. I've never had the motor out, needing babbitt work and rebuild external oil pump. Thank You! Arthur

27Chandler.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Aurthur,

I just saw your post, albeit late, and would like to offer some tips for getting the engine out of that Chandler.  I have two of them.  A '28 and a '29.  Both are Royal 8's, but the build is the same as yours.  One thing to keep in mind as you do this.  Chandler did some odd things and nothing about working on them comes easy.  The repairman was not really considered during the engineering... or so it seems.  

I would reccommend removing the front fenders, grill, rad, hood, floor, lower firewall, steering column, brake pedal, parking brake mechanism, clutch pedal, brake booster, driveshaft, manifold, engine dust shields and anything else that may be in the way.   The whole engine has to slide forward and then twist upward to the left to snake the engine/bell housing ears out of the frame rails.  I can include some pictures of it being done if you haven't done it yet.  

Once you you get into the rebuild process, you will be amazed by the complexity of the disassembly.  The pistons can't come out the top because the rod ends are larger than the bores.  The flywheel won't come off of the crankshaft because it's larger than the opening in the bell housing.  You need to strip the front off of the block to remove the timing chain.  The generator is the chain tensioning device.  Lay the block upside down, on the the head and remove the oil pan.  After stripping the clutch parts, oil pan, main caps, oil pump, oil lines, rod caps, etc, the whole crank with its flywheel attached, has to be lifted off of the piston rods, and out thru the bell housing....and it weighs maybe 200 lbs.   Give yourself PLENTY of time to do it.  Expect the unexpected and roll with it!   I have tons of photos of mine coming apart (two years ago) and I am about to start putting it back together.  It took that long to get what it needed.  Egge, in California can re-Babbit the rods.