Maxwell info needed

Joe in Canada

Can anyone give me any info on a 1913 Maxwell Model 35-4 parts availability. I am looking at a project but with the parts that appear to be missing like the transaxle shifter or front motor cover it  seems to be a major undertaking finding some of these parts. Also what brand would the lights be for Maxwell that year be? I do like Maxwell cars ever since watching Jack Benny and Rochester.     Thanks for any help in advance.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Joe,

I have limited experience with my 1914 Maxwell, but Based upon my experience to date, I would say that it is likely that any part you need, you will have to either make, or adapt from a Model T part. 

You may occasionally get lucky on eBay, or at Hershey or Chickasha, but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of Maxwell stuff out there.  Lights are probably one exception; there seem to be a lot of lights

out there from which to choose (although expensive).  Perhaps because people saved the lights when these cars were scrapped.  The lights on mine are painted, but I will have a look to see if I can identify a brand.

Andrew

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Andrew thanks for the input on the Maxwell. I was seriously considering on buying this project until I noticed more critical pieces missing. Such as the molding over the cowl below the windshield. The front engine and side cover I was going to make if I could not find one but it is just adding up over my head. I googled the fellows name and car so I was finding adds he has had out for a few years and he has never found so things did not look good. Still looking for a project but friends are trying to talk me into a drivable project that will be done before my grandkids too old to drive.

Thanks Joe

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I don't know that Maxwell parts are all that impossible to find and I don't see modified Model T parts as the answer to missing pieces.  At Hershey this year I picked up a few odds and ends for early Maxwell's and passed up on some reasonably priced other pieces. There was even a pretty nice '12 body and frame available for $1,400. As with any early car... sometimes you have to make things that cannot be found.... but the Maxwell folks are pretty friendly and you can always find a guy to pull off a part of his car to help you make a duplicate for yours. That said, I always support people passing on a project they are not comfortable with their ability to complete. Too many cars get mothballed and never seen again.

• 2 weeks later...

The car is 35 Hp. and there is only two that are known to have survived. The car will need an engine as I found out the other day the engine crank is missing besides the front and side covers. I do not think a Model T engine crank can be modified to fit and the price to have one made would be more than the value of the car. The Tudhope and Everet 36 are the only two that has the same engine and finding one of those is slim or impossible. Anyone have a spare engine not in use I do not know about???

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:58 PM, Fort Susquehanna said:

Joe,

Take a look at the project pieces I posted.  I am not a Maxwell expert, but there are four engines with the project.  One can probably be spared for your project.  If these are what you need, let me know and contact me.  

I passed on that project. I could not locate a motor as only model 30-4 parts fit. There is only two surviving  examples known to exist of the 30-4 one being a 1913 & a 14. Thanks for the offer.