Chroming Stuff

Alright I have a few new to the hobby questions, and I am hoping that your experience will help me save money and aggravation. I have purchased some parts for the 51-56 years of Packards, and I am getting ready to take these not so great pieces and get them rechromed. I have already heard that I will need to rob the Brinks truck on the way to the rechromer place, so the sticker shock will be somewhat suppressed. What I dont want to do is give this stuff to someone who will do a terrible job, or worse destroy my peices so bad, I wont be able to use them. I am very picky about how things turn out so a list of questions to ask the rechromer would be a good place to start, along with what I should hear, and what is not good to hear. I have seen different types of chrome listed on some sites out on the web, is there some type of chrome I need to avoid, and one I need to get? As you can tell, a babe in the woods is where I am at, and hopefully you can educate me on this. Thanks for your help ahead of time, as I usually say, be brutally honest with me, its the only way I will learn.

Robert:<BR>Stay way from Graves Plating in upper Alabama. Not from the standpoint of they do bad work, they do exceptional work, but the Brinks truck would not get you into the front door. A Saudi oil well<BR>might do the trick, THEY ARE EXPENSIVE to say the least.<BR>I have had god luck with Forresters in Douglasville. They seem to discourage small pieces with high prices, I had the bumpers on Chris 51 done for $225 ea. The guards<BR>were $80 ea. Where he went high was the round headlight<BR>trim ring, he wanted $100 ea.<BR>I said no thanks. On pot metal you have to ask if they grind the pits or grind and fill them in. If they grind them, then you have tiny pock-marks that are visible upon close inspection. Grinding then filling them in is better, but more labor intensive therefore more expensive. There is another<BR>shop up in Marietta, but I have no knowledge of their work or prices.

Robert, Pot Metal Restoration in Tallahassee, Fla does ONLY potmetal and does a very good job. He is not cheap, but he does NOT grind down the pit till the part is gone. frown.gif" border="0 I had my taillight housings, door handles, hood and trunk ornaments and front fender side pieces done in 1993. I do have to contact him on one piece that is turning brassy, but overall he did very well. He advertises in Hemmings. A fellow club member just gave some chrome to a plater in Tenn. who guarantees his work for lifetime. (depends on how old he is now) grin.gif" border="0

Robert,<BR> I use Paul's Chrome Plating up near Pittsburg. He comes to the Carlisle and Hershey flea markets; so I take my parts there and talk to him about them. Certain pieces he will not do and others he advises not to do. I find it very helpful to have a face-to-face discussion. I would expect that similar opportunities exist at the big flea market in Charlotte. It is expensive; but he has done quality work for me.<P>jnp

Randy, if that is ChromeMasters in Tallahassee, they have done some small things for me (all they do) like handles, ornaments, etc. and until last time I was satisfied but the last time was a bad experience. Another place I used in NC went bellyup and S & H in Nashville very pricey and take too long.

I, too have experience with Graves and was not totally pleased the one and only time I went to them with taillight bezels and just 5 years later, the chrome is fading. The is an A-1 Plating across the river from Graves in Tuscumbia but times I checked lead time was 6 months or more.