SOLD '55 Speedometer, restored

Here is a restored redline speedometer correct for '55 Century and Special (special order). Restored years ago by Scott Speedometer. BEAUTIFUL unit. I bought this YEARS ago with plans to install in a 54 Special hot rod.  Sold as is. $325 plus shipping.

PM if interested

55speedo1.JPG55speedo2.JPG55speedo3.JPG55speedo4.JPG

• Like 1
On 9/29/2016 at 7:10 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

Same here, I've got a big pile and have to buy the occasional odd or end when i see it, but mostly trying to sell. The market is much softer than when i started stock piling.

softer? hell it's turned to mush since I started dragging old Buick iron home.

• Like 1

Probably lots of reasons that stuff is harder to sell today, makes one wonder if fewer folks are interested in restoring/building a car of the PAST.

Our son and son-in-law LIKE old cars, but have NO interest in buying/working on one.  Not sayin they are typical, they both could afford, but no interest.  They have commented to me OFTEN, that's a lot of work you have performed on the Limited, AMEN to that I say, hehe

They haven't asked/suggested a visor, hehe  

Dale in Indy

5 minutes ago, buick5563 said:

Whoever bought this speedo got a heck of a deal. It's probably somebody who couldn't find the one they swore they had purchased for a project, but most likely installed it on a customer's car.

Just sayin'

:)

I best hurry up and get it in the mail before they find it while looking for something else. It's probably sittin on top of the guys fridge.

Thanks Mike, am so glad to see stuff go to guys here instead of strangers on eBay.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2016 at 1:45 PM, MrEarl said:

Thanks Mike. I may be trying to sell hymn books to the choir here, everybody has already restored there cars.

Well, that's not entirely true... :P

On 10/6/2016 at 4:41 PM, smithbrother said:

Probably lots of reasons that stuff is harder to sell today, makes one wonder if fewer folks are interested in restoring/building a car of the PAST.

From my perspective, it's hard to get into the hobby when people want $3000 for a junkyard shell just to start. Young guys like me don't have that kind of money and would rather spend $500 on a beat up Honda on craigslist to race Friday nights down the industrial strip. If my grandfather hadn't have given me my car, I would have never started it. The engine alone took four years of scrimping and saving through senior year of Highschool and then working to pay off school, mixed in with tax returns. I was ecstatic when the Dynaflow only cost me one tax return. Hopefully 2017 will be enough for a decent paint job or at least a weatherproof foundation.

On top of ridiculous prices for shells, components, etc, you also have to buy tools when you get started, which is almost as costly as a rear end rebuild. Stacked on top of rising tuition debt, young people don't have the money to even think about getting started in the hobby. It also doesn't help that the aftermarket panders to Ford, Chevy and Mopar. Good luck with anything else if you need hard to find parts. Got a tri-5 Chev? You can build one from the ground up in a weekend.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. When I'm your guy's age, the hobby will probably be only for the millionaires that can afford to have pieces custom manufactured. No offense to anyone!

• Like 2

It just takes desire. I met Old Tank when I was your age, Beemon. That was at least 25 years ago: I watched great cars and lusted over them while I fixed my car as necessary, learning along the way. I bought tools and bought expensive pieces pre-internet. Keep at it. You don't have to be rich, but sometimes you DO have to postpone big expenditures. Drive it and enjoy. 

• Like 3

You're right about tools, a nice toolbox costs more than I paid for each of my cars. Just keep the priority of making those tuition payments and I am sure some day you will have the funds to support your love of Buicks. But I will advise you this, invest in retirement as soon as possible, being retired and broke sux. 

• Like 3

All true, but the question was about interest, so from my perspective it's the cost of trading and acquiring old parts. Forums that build communities like this are amazing, and people like MrEarl do a fantastic job of helping spread the wealth. But when it comes to the younger generation, it's just too expensive to even start when junkyards sell cores for the same price as a 90's rice rocket that runs.

Beautiful speedo, by the way. Sorry to get off topic in the buy/sell forums!

• Like 1