Kosage Chavis

1955 Buick general questions

Been a while since I posted a question here, but I have a new question.

At some point (hopefully sooner rather than later), I plan on building a detached garage in my backyard.  I plan to complete a total off frame restore on my 55 Century in it.  But here's the issue.  I have kids that play in the backyard all of the time and I don't want to take up too much space back there.  What is the smallest amount of perimeter inside a garage that still allows me to accomplish this type of restore to my car?  Thank you.

14 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Been a while since I posted a question here, but I have a new question.

At some point (hopefully sooner rather than later), I plan on building a detached garage in my backyard.  I plan to complete a total off frame restore on my 55 Century in it.  But here's the issue.  I have kids that play in the backyard all of the time and I don't want to take up too much space back there.  What is the smallest amount of perimeter inside a garage that still allows me to accomplish this type of restore to my car?  Thank you.

You will need the equivalent of a 3 car garage.  One bay for the frame; one bay for the body; one bay for the big loose pieces like seats, dash parts, engine and tranny, fenders, hood, trunk lid....

Put the kids to work on the car and tell them it is fun play time.;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 8/8/2019 at 11:54 AM, old-tank said:

You will need the equivalent of a 3 car garage. 

Unfortunately, aside from a slight exaggeration (maybe only 2 1/2 car garage :o) I agree.  As you're already finding out, everything takes up much more space when no longer bolted to the Buick!  All I can offer is to perhaps consider adding a loft to the garage (if not a full 2nd story).  That space could be dedicated storage with as much adjustable shelving as you can muster.  You'll still need ground level storage somewhere for heavy items, though...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are doing a body off listen to old tank. My shop is 32 X 48 X 12 and i was cramped at times. Don,t forget work benches, tool boxes, compresser, bead blaster, shelves, cabinets, drill press, buffer, grinder, etc etc etc all chew up square feet and a lot more than you think because you need to allow room to move around them.  Also the inside measurement is smaller than the outside which most folks refer to. If you can do a 12 ft ceiling do so. .....bob

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

If you can do a 12 ft ceiling do so.

I concur - my 10 foot ceiling is good, but tight with a car on my 4-post lift.  Another 2 feet would be great!

image.thumb.png.ef09e83fb67a1c774c07ab90ce98bf46.png

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

I concur - my 10 foot ceiling is good, but tight with a car on my 4-post lift.  Another 2 feet would be great!

image.thumb.png.ef09e83fb67a1c774c07ab90ce98bf46.png

Never satisfied, are we?:lol:

Ben

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When removing the rear windshield, do you just cut away the old gasket or can you remove without doing so?

Is there anything special you need to do or look out for when removing a Carter 4 barrel carburetor?  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Is there anything special you need to do or look out for when removing a Carter 4 barrel carburetor?  Thank you.

Not really, just be sure to retain the nuts holding the carb to the manifold (hard to find 5/16-24 with 7/16 head with internal star washers)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2019 at 1:56 PM, old-tank said:

Not really, just be sure to retain the nuts holding the carb to the manifold (hard to find 5/16-24 with 7/16 head with internal star washers)

They came with special nuts? I've just been using nut, lock washer and washer combo.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Beemon said:
On 9/15/2019 at 3:56 PM, old-tank said:

They came with special nuts? I've just been using nut, lock washer and washer combo

On 55 for sure, yours may be different.  Check your carbs for marks from the star washers.

• Like 1

Service manual  + just do it and learn as you go.  Easy to pull engine and tranny together with the front end parts off.  Leaving the engine and tranny together is easier to store until you get around to working on them.

• Thanks 2

Disconnect the torque converter from the flywheel plate first, while the engine is in the car.  Provides more space for the process and saves you from having to roll it around later on to get those bolts out.    

And by way of space savings, if you are going to pull them together as a unit, make sure you have a space out of the way.  A long space.  Otherwise for storage challenged locations it may be more convenient to separate them now, rather than afterwards.  

• Thanks 1

If you separate them, you will have to get the car 36" off the ground to wheel the Dynaflow out with a tranny jack.

• Thanks 1