Carlise on Wednesday

grubin

It completely depends on the weather prediction.  All things being equal, Friday gets the largest crowds and typically has the most vendors.  If prediction for Friday is rain, people will usually come Thursday.  Most vendors are packing up on Sat.  It surprises me that even big vendors who are only going down the road to Hershey are out the door by early afternoon on Sat. Wed is pretty much setup day, with only about half the vendors on site.

Do people think Fall Carlisle is still pretty good?

My attendance at the spring and fall events has

been more occasional of late.  For a few years (at least)

in the depth of the recession, there were plenty of

empty vendor spaces on the field, and the car corral

was only half full.  The big hillside slope of the car corral

was practically empty, with almost all of the car corral

activity taking place on the lower half.  That's still makes

a large event compared to many others around the country,

however. 

I live close enough that it doesn't matter much, but if 

someone is going to drive hundreds of miles, he should

have a realistic view of what to expect. 

1 hour ago, AJFord54 said:

This Spring Carlisle I was shocked to notice that the car corral was primarily muscle cars from the 70s and 80s with very few cars from even the 50s.  

Agreed.  I think Carlisle's car corral, for quite some time,

has been good for 1960's on up.  If anyone wants a good

selection of earlier cars, Hershey is the place to go.  The

car corrals at Hershey and Carlisle are not at all alike.

I live about 90 miles from Carlisle, and have pretty much quit going to it at all.  When the car corral started having almost new Suburbans for sale (which I too feel was about 5 years ago when the corral changed), I felt it wasn't worth the trip.  Every now and then an older car would show up, but as mentioned, it's mostly 60's and 70's and later...which is fine, a lot of people are into those eras, and I too have a couple of 60's cars, but I'm not looking for more.

It's a totally different feel than Hershey.  I have a friend who goes to Carlisle every year, he plans to go to Hershey for the first time.  I can't wait for his reaction to the different venue, he said he figured he could see most of it in one day, and I just laughed to myself.......told him it was much bigger than Carlisle, and he was surprised, thought it was about the same...

23 hours ago, cutlasguy said:

If anyone is planning to travel on 81, definitely go Saturday! If you go during the work week, plan on being stuck in construction for hours!

Where is the construction on Interstate 81, Cutlass Guy?

Thankfully, Pennsylvania has lots of smaller highways,

and even back country roads, for by-passing any problem areas.

When I went from Linglestown to Archbald in July while on vacation, it took me 1 1/2 hours (on a Friday afternoon leaving at 1:15) to get from the 78/81 split to just above Pine Grove.  There was a few small construction areas from there to Scranton, but nothing as bad as that.  Left Linglestown at 1:15, arrived in Archbald at 4:55.

It's going to be that way for a while as I understand it.