39 Chrysler Steering Wheels

On my late1938 built 1939 C22 Royal the steering wheel has 3 solid spokes yet I notice on some other cars they have Stainless steel "wire" Spokes ?

Is this due to the month built or model option or whatever is in the assembly line parts bin,or ??!!

This difference is also demonstrated if you Google images 1939 Chrysler steering wheels. The two types are illustrated.

Any body have any clues why the difference?

Rich

The wire spoke or 'banjo' steering wheel was said to absorb road shock. They were more expensive to make and on some cars, were an optional extra. They may have been standard equipment on some luxury cars. I don't know about Chryslers. I don't recall seeing one with a banjo wheel, which I associate with Ford products.

Thanks so far guys,

So !!

The banjo multi spoked steering wheel may have been an option? 

My Aussie built '39 C22 has the solid spoke type yet a derelict engine/gearbox less car I just bought for spares has the banjo type. However I wouldn't think that with the small amount of cars that came to Australia (all in knocked down form) would have been offered with any options.

Both the 6 cyl Royal (mostly) and a few 8 cyl Imperial's came here. So I wonder if the spoked banjo type was an Imperial fitment?

Over to you, 

R

Edited by trickydicky43richard (see edit history)