Could be for Packard - interesting historical?

RO

Keith emailed me about an interesting item on ebay which looks like it may be a brake fluid "gauge" for the 1951-54 Packards. That reminded of the TMFLI. Anyone ever hear of the TMFLI?<P>The TMFLI was an early 1970s device that was a Transmission Fluid Level Indicator. I had one on my '68 Charger for a year or two, but the engineering was not good enough for longetivity. An outfit down in Orlando installed them for about $49 or so. but I just bought it for about half that and installed it myself. Rather clever. How it operated was you stuck a piece of transparent vacuum hose down the tranny dipstick to the bottom and the other end clamped to the underside if a fluid reservior. Then the top of the reservoir had a vacuum hose that ran to a vacuum source. You start the engine, it sucks up a pint of fluid and turns off a red light on the dash. You never had to check the fluid. Problem was the reservior was plastic and the fittings were plastic and would leak. There was also a similar oil level indicator that came out later.