1936 Packard Business Coupe Vehicle #X73771

dgpnaples

I am looking to buy a 1936 Packard Business Coupe 120 and wanted to research any particulars I can find with the vehicle id number X73771.

I went to the Packard website and found general information however there was no area to look up the information to decode the VIN number.

I would like to verify what the "X" stands for and I assume that the numbers may stand for something other than production number. The Packard website states that 55,136 coupes made that year, so the number 73771 must have another purpose.

Any comments are appreciated. Thank you, Dean.

Old cars don't have VINs the way modern cars do. They don't really decode into anything, and there is likely an engine number, a frame number, and a body number, plus the anti-theft number embossed on the firewall, and none of them will be the same. The cars back then were usually titled by engine or frame number, but along the intervening years, someone may have changed things so you never know. If there's a number on the car that matches what's on the title, you're OK as long as you can find the number on the car. If Owen_Dyneto says it's an engine number, then that's easy to find on the block and you should have no problems with the title (as long as they match).

That number will not decode into anything, but it will fall within a range that will tell you roughly when it was built, and from that you can deduce whether it is likely to be the car's original engine. No "matching numbers" as with muscle cars, but you can at least know if it's actually a 1936 engine.

Beyond that, the number probably won't tell you much and I bet the X doesn't denote anything special or exotic, probably just a place-holder in the numbering system and/or the stamping machine.

Make sure the title matches the engine number, frame number, or body number on the car. Otherwise, do not buy the car. It is very challenging to get that changed or modified after the fact and you may be stuck with a car you can neither register nor sell.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the 1936 Packard 120 and it is being delivered today. Engine number matched the title and the car has been inspected.  I am very pleased with the mechanics of the car and the body/frame quality. The Seller has provided me with receipts for all of the work completed on the car and I am confident that I will enjoy for many years to come. 

36 PACKARD FRONT.JPG

36 PACKARD OASSENGER SIDE.JPG

36 PACKARD DRIVER SIDE.JPG

36 PACKARD STEERING WHEEL.JPG

1936 Packard Business Coupe.jpg

To both Vintage rodshop and 1935Packard, thanks for the kind words. I had the car on the road yesterday,drove about 50 miles around town. I sure would like to have turn signals on the car. Who sells a turn signal kit that I can install? Also, I still have the original 6 volt system, so need to know if there is anything special on the wiring for the turn signal apparatus.

Any help is appreciated.

On my 35 Packard eight coupe the previous owners put turn signals on and hid them in the headlights, and in the rear the regular light blinks. The only downside to that is that when your headlights are on its harder to see the blinking lights. I used to have an all original 36 120 business coupe like yours and they are fun and easy to ride! I sold it cause I didn't want my kids getting in or out and accidentally tear the original upholstery. 

Thanks bdc, i have been looking at different photos of Packards and where owners are placing the turn signal lights. I saw one video with Dave Charvet ( The you Tube "Packard Guy") and he had them below the rear bumper and I believe they had a disconnect so he could remove for a show. I will ask him to verify that. Thanks.

Good old Roy Lassen and his grandson Danny usually have a pretty good assortment of period correct turn signals. I have got some wonderful accessories from them.    classicaccessories.org   in Santa Barbara , CA. Check out some of his inventory , and give him a call. You could even tell them 1927 Cadillac Carl sent you. I believe most judging allows working turn signals as safety equipment , right ? What a fine old car you have !  -  Carl

Congrats, great looking car - I often miss our 120!

One thing you might want to check regarding the mechanics, especially if engine work was done and the car is coming out of storage or has not had a lot of miles on it, is that the head is torqued properly.  Our car had been used very little since restoration and we began to accumulate some miles - head gasket failed and from what I found, it can be typical on a lot of straight 8 flatheads including this particular engine.  I talked to a couple old Packard guys who said the 282 is susceptible to that.  If replaced recently, you may want to re-torque a couple of times - I believe it is called chasing the gasket down.  Our failed at the rear of the engine, furthest from coolant source.  These things are 70 - 80 years old and stuff happens when you use them, but perhaps you can avoid that issue with some preventive maintenance.

Great color and bodystyle.     

Guest shinyhubcap
4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

.............. is the cyl. head is torqued properly. ......  ?    head gasket failed and from what I found, it can be typical on a lot of straight 8 flatheads including this particular engine........... you may want to re-torque a couple of times - I believe it is called chasing the gasket down.......

===========================================================================================================

Outstanding advice !    And not just on the eights !

I was following a vintage car the other day. When he turned abruptly without signaling I thought he should know better. Then I realized he actually had turn signals and was using them, but they were quite small and mounted way down on the rear bumper where they were barely visible in the bright daylight. Just a thought.

By the way, I second what the others have said about the Packard. I've never driven one but have always thought the 120 coupe is one of the best proprtioned cars ever. I'm envious.

Don 

Good morning DLynskey, This is my first Packard and I have been searching for the right 36 120 to come along. I am glad I was patient in looking. On this car, the color, lines and originality all came together. I have other cars from the 50, 60's but this Coupe is real style in my eye. Thanks for the heads up on the turn signals. I have ordered the lights and after I install I will post some photos(both day and night) Take care and thanks again for the compliment.