Sign in to follow this  
John_S_in_Penna

What is the value of R12 refrigerant?

I would suggest that you don't even think about charging the cars with R12 as high as it will cost you will probably be better off to test pressure the system with air pressure first and if it don't leak pull a good vacuum and change it to 134A. But then again you are still not out of the woods, because when you have the system fully charged, there will be more pressure on the system because freon will have more pressure than air so it still may blow out. What ever you decide to do, good luck.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Corvairs, even though they are small cars, use 5 (FIVE) pounds of R-12. Looong hoses!

I still fill them with R-12 if the systems are original. If updated with Sanden compressors after the A-6 dies, then it is R-134a time.

I have a 66 Mustang with the original AC and it worked fine until this year when I tried to use it about a month or so ago.   No cold whatsoever coming out of the AC.   Is it most likely I need R12 or could it be something else?

On 9/13/2018 at 8:37 PM, Dave Henderson said:

Here's a buyer who advertises repeatedly in the "Wanted" column of the Washington Post;  www.refrigerantfinders.com   Phone  312 291 9169

I dealt with Refrigerant finders. I had a 30lb cyliner of DuPont Freon (R-12). Virgin cyliner, with original shrink wrap seal (that is barely still attached). Weighing in at 35.8lbs. 

They offered me $17/lb initially, then offered $6/lb. I am assuming that they are looking for people who have no idea what the value of R-12 for a classic car is.

Frank, what is the problem with the A 6 compressor and r134? I was thinking of converting my old truck?

Dave

one problem with R134 is the older hose are foil lined and tents to leak out of a goods R12 hose.

OK I have one car still with R12 and that is the Judge, all of the rest have R134A.

The original problem with converting R12 to R134 was the oil. R12 mineral oil did not play well with R134 PAG/Ester. People failed to flush the system properly and the mineral oil residue caused problems.

Now my Judge is still R12 because I have some and needs about a can a decade. However when changing I replace the hoses, O'rings, gauge fittings ( high and low are only fitting that need to be changed), dryer, and oriface tube (white for 134). Pressure flush twice,  pull a high vacuum for at least a day, and then pour about 5 oz of the correct oil into the compressor. Finally charge until low side holds at 25-35 psi at 2,000 rpm with forced air. That's the short form but is no big.

Mostly work with GM & never had much trouble with A6s (have a sealed spare under the bench) but the DA-6 was very failure prone ("black screen of death") Harrison replaced with the HR-6 which is a good compressor.

Beyond that it is just a matter of being careful and clean.

ps reason I mentioned the sight glass going away in '73 was before that you just added Freon until the bubbles went clear and it had the correct amount. No gauges needed.

5 hours ago, Dave39MD said:

Frank, what is the problem with the A 6 compressor and r134?

Only what Padgett covered. I keep using R12 with the A-6 system. It is available on ebay still. Yes, if you change the oil then an A-6 will handle R134a just fine. I would rather buy R12 than buy a conversion kit for the refrigerant fittings. That's just me.  I still have an R 12 machine to evacuate and refill systems.😉