scam suppliers

packardreamer

It appears that I have run into a couple scam suppliers either from this site or the Packard info site, these two suppliers have emailed me after seeing my post on one or both of these sites.
I hesitate to name them at this time but will in the next few days once its verified.
Id appreciate any input from the members regarding this and any ways to limit this from happening.
I will post names later 
Thanks
Barry
336-516-7009

How did he contact you? If he called you using your posted phone number, there is nothing we can do. If he emailed you direct after finding your email address listed publicly in a post on this site or another, there is nothing we can do. 

If he sent you a Private Message or email through the forum system, if you will let me know his forum user name, I can ban him. 

He emailed me from his personal email, "johnsautomobileshop@gmail.com"

I assume he got it off my profile on the site, I don't list it on my messages.

Luckily Im only out 300.00 dollars and I was able to find a post about him on a mustang parts site telling that he was a scammer and never sent parts to multiple people there.

He says he's from Timberlake, NC but there is no home at the address he gave me.

Unfortunately for me I have a second person that I also believe to be doing the same thing, I was notified today by money gram and they saved me from losing 950.00, I won't post his name until i know for sure, but I'm pretty confident he's doing the same thing.

I appreciate your response and maybe you can locate him by this email address, he goes by the name of John Stigall.

Thanks

Barry

That might be a bit hasty since scammers have numerous ways of using legitimate email addresses for nefarious purposes.

Spoofing is only one example.

The only way to find out where the message REALLY came from is to examine the message source in the email header and that isn't always conclusive.

IP traces sometimes will disclose the source but if they are hiding behind an anonymizer it's hopeless.

It's nearly impossible to trace Yahoo addresses because messages don't always go through the same servers.

The internet is a world of its own....... :ph34r:

33 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Can't our moderators ban him regardless of his method of dishonesty?

If he's dishonest using a phone or e-mail, he's still dishonest!

If he is a registered member of the forum we can ban him from the forum. If he is just some guy who looked at this or another site and found an email address to send an email to there is absolutely nothing we can do to stop him.

If you receive any message from any unknown source who says he has something to sell you, unless you can confirm the seller's identity through a history of posts on the forum, or a decent online history that you can find through a google search, or phone calls + emailed photos + other confirming information, you can probably figure out that you are communicating with a scammer. 

If it sounds too good to be true.... It is too good to be true. If they want money through Moneygram or any other similar pay method I figure there is a 99.99% chance you are dealing with a scammer. If you can't prove to yourself that you are dealing with a legitimate individual, please don't send any money to anybody.

Nobody with that name or email address is a registered forum member and there is nothing that we can do to remotely prevent this scammer from sending email.

If a check or money order has to be sent, I was told the best is a US Postal Money Order sent through the mail. It can become a federal offense of mail fraud and there really is such a thing as the US Postal Police that goes after these guys. In small towns they will get these bad guys

A big AMC supplier posted a bunch this past week on similar, but reverse sorta scam. Basically he received funds for parts sold that required a money gram to be sent for the funds to be released. There is no end to scammers coming up with new ways to ruin my faith in humanity.

I had a guy call me and say he had an Amphicar on his truck that the buyer backed out on and I'f I covered his fuel and some time he'd deviate from his route to show it to me and make a deal. (I call BS). I was in the hospital bored stiff so I thought this would be a good distraction.

He wanted a $200 moneygram so I said sure, where do I send it. He gave me an address. I looked it up and chose a town about 60 miles from there. He called saying it wasn't where he said to send it, I said oh they said it went to the other town. He was a little upset but said he go. About 90 mins later he called me from that office and said it's not here!. I told him that they had trouble and sent it to another office (40 miles further). He was a little more upset but went. I got another call about an hour later... yup I said they had realized the mistake and sent it to the 1st place. He calls me 2 1/2 hours later really mad now. I said Hey I added and extra $200 for the trouble but it was now at the last place I sent him. As a stupid fish will always bite when hungry, he did too and off he went. I get the call... he is really peeved... I said how does it feel to be screwed over? .... CLICK (silence) and me laughing so hard I needed another pain pill. MMMM the sweet taste of karma.

• Like 1