Today I stepped on it hard, the turbo kicked in and then the car bucked hard and won't stop bucking on acceleration. Its un-drivable this way. I had a code 13. I found the vacuum line to the waste gate control solenoid had popped off. I put back in place but it made no difference. Upon further inspection I can find nothing else noticeable. Any ideas?

25 minutes ago, wheelsport said:

Today I stepped on it hard, the turbo kicked in and then the car bucked hard and won't stop bucking on acceleration. Its un-drivable this way. I had a code 13. I found the vacuum line to the waste gate control solenoid had popped off. I put back in place but it made no difference. Upon further inspection I can find nothing else noticeable. Any ideas?

OK, you say the line TO the wastegate solenoid had popped off. You reinstalled it.

Did you follow the line FROM the solenoid to the wastegate diaphragm to see that it is not broken somewhere along the way behind the cylinder head or as it turns down to the diaphragm? This is a pressure line that pushes the diaphragm and link to open the wastegate in the turbocharger. 

51 minutes ago, wheelsport said:

I'll take another close look. When I first bought the car the main vacuum line, that has all the small lines coming out of it, was broken. I made a crude one that seems to work. Is there any source for this vacuum line?

There use to be a replacement line (One large end to 4 small lines at the other) I doubt that they are available any more. If I can find the part number, I'll let you know.

4 hours ago, wheelsport said:

Hemi,

I dug around a little deeper and found the line to the MAP sensor had also blown off on top of the engine. Now the question is, why would hitting it hard blow off the vacuum lines?  

Cuz that's also a pressure line once your turbo spools up. At full boost you're around 14psi and that's definitely enough to blow a loose fitting off.

8 hours ago, wheelsport said:

Hemi,

I dug around a little deeper and found the line to the MAP sensor had also blown off on top of the engine. Now the question is, why would hitting it hard blow off the vacuum lines?  

Remember, I wrote that as well yesterday?   It is a PRESSURE line to force the diaphragm to OPEN the wastegate valve in the turbo housing.

So I take it then that plugging the MAP line back in fixed your problem?  I'm not certain the engineers and builders thought out our vacuum harness lifespan  thru to  30 years plus because I have seen more driveability/low power/ surging/bucking/otherwise unpleasant driving conditions due to cracked or failed vacuum lines.  It's the very first system I check when I poke around underhood of any turbo Chrysler product. Now having said all that and not really added much value to this thread I'll add this tidbit that works for me.  Get some good quality, rated for high temps small zip ties(black please, we're all over 20 years old on this list and too old for neon green or orange right?) and 'fix' that connection for good.  Trim the tail very flush with a single edge razor as well, if you use diagonal cutters or similar the tail will be a little sharp lancet that will open up the flesh on your arm if you brush into it next time your doing maintenance or repairs in the engine bay. Add a few more fixes to other connections that are just waiting to fail.

AJ, another reason to use black zip ties is that typically they are more resistant to chemicals and exposure to the caustic environment of the engine bay. So...safer (usually) depending on what they are on. Just thought I'd throw that out there. ;)