'26 4 cyl main bearing inserts wanted

R.White

I am hoping someone can help me replace these main bearing inserts. This is for a 5 bearing 'C' engine and worst condition are the two small bearings either side of the large middle bearing.  I am happy to pay a reasonable price for good used ones.  

I am aware that the ideal solution would be pouring new Babbitt but good used ones would be fine in this case.

Thank you,

Ray.

P9180079.jpg

Hello Ray,

It might be better if you post the journal size of the crankshaft. Who knows how many times it has been ground over the years.

Worst case scenario you could weld up the journal and grind to fit your old bearings. (With some minor scraping of course)

I know your in a hurry. Too bad you are across the pond instead of across the street. I have an old "C" engine buried in a shed out back somewhere.........

The main bearing journal measures 1.7258" 

Standard journal size was 1.750".

The upper bearing inserts are good.

There is the beginning of something in one of the larger main bearings cap inserts but probably serviceable for now. 

I really appreciate all the responses, guys.  I am hoping to find a couple of replacement inserts (ideally from a crank that has been ground @ 0.025") but if I can't I will look at alternatives.  Please let me know what you can spare.  Thanks.

Fingers crossed!

Ray.  

Sorry, but I have had to edit the numbers.:(

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

19 hours ago, jan arnett (2) said:

I have some bearings being redone at a very reasonable rate and can provide you with a name and address.

What is a reasonable rate for babbling a 5 main motor?  I'm having my fast four bearings re-done, and I think my guy has a high rate.  Hopefully he is really good...

2 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Do you actually think you can use a used bearing cap from another engine and have correct clearance? The line bore and bolt holes will be out of location enough that I doubt if this will work. Even turning a cap around backwards will not work on it's own journal. 

Don't worry about it.  If I can't get a close enough running clearance I will pour my own Babbitt metal and scrape in the new bearing which I have done before.

BTW I don't intend to use a different cap; just the insert. 

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)