Den41Buick

6 volt battery

I am looking for a good battery for my 41 Buick. I think the last time I purchased one it was for a forklift. Any suggestions? Thanks

I have an optima on my 41 Special and it works great, but I plan on bringing the Roadmaster to Hershey, so I will need originality

If you just want a traditional wet cell with a black case and don't need it to be a perfect reproduction, the best value I have found is at Tractor Supply.

I just bought a lead acid 6 volt at TSC because the Optima that came in the car was shot . The neighbor uses Optima in his dragster and said that lead acid charger will not charge an Optima . He loaned me his charger and the Optima failed the interrogation test three times . He condemned the Optima so I went shopping . QUESTION ....What are you folks using to charge all your Optima batteries ?  How is a three brush generator going to charge an Optima ?

I've been very pleased with the Optimas in my 6V cars and have no problem charging them with a standard charger or a plug-in Battery Tender for long-term storage. The generators have no problem keeping them topped up and I'm always impressed with how much cranking power they have. I bet I could spin my '29 Cadillac's starter for 45 minutes straight with that battery.

However, it's been noted that some generators and some battery chargers just don't like the Optimas. What the criteria are that create that situation, I can't say. Some work, others don't. There's no way to know for sure until you have it and you're using it.

I have hundreds of cars a year run through my shop, some with Optimas and some with standard batteries, and we've never really had to treat them any differently when it comes to maintaining/charging them. I like them so much, my advice would be to get one and see what happens. I do know that the Battery Tender brand trickle charger keeps them topped off without a problem in my '29 Cadillac and '41 Buick.

Do Optima batteries need a different charging voltage than lead-acid? Some types of battery do, but memory is failing me just now. I think gel batteries need a lower voltage and will not be fully charged by the usual lead-acid charging voltage.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

My diesel motor coach uses two 12 volt batteries to run the truck. (it also has two more banks of batteries for 1 for 12 volt accessories and 1 for the inverter that lets me run 120 volt stuff).

I bought two optimas when the original truck batteries were used up.

When I leave the coach plugged in to keep the refrigerator running all winter the part of the inverter that monitors the batteries killed the optimas in 6 months of storage.

I have Optimas in just about everything around here and I have had good luck in the long run.

However I wont leave my tenders plugged in all winter anymore.

A few days on and a couple of weeks off seems to work just fine.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)