1957 Buick Special/Century Convertible Trim with Snaps

Yohdda

Hello,

I just recently bought a 1957 Buick Special Convertible that is in pieces, and after doing an inventory I have noticed that I am missing a few pieces, there probably is more, but this is a glaring missing piece.

I have one half of the trim that goes around the area where the convertible top meets the rear trunk lid.  It is a stainless piece that has snaps on it and I believe it goes all the way around from the drivers side door to the passenger side door.  I believe they call it a pinchweld with snaps?  The one half that I have, I believe is the drivers side.  but it's tough to tell.  I have attached an image of a Chevy example as I couldn't find one of a Buick on the internet.

Also, this car was missing the dash completely, and I have a donor dash from a non-convertible.  So I would need the convertible switch and knob for it as well.

Please PM me if you have any of the pieces, or know where I can look for them.

Thanks!

Chevy Trim.jpg

theres a seller on Ebay that sometimes lists one  for around $399 for both pieces for 57 buick ..you will need to check in ebay daily to see when it gets relisted ...im pretty sure it was listed last week !! anyways , I believe the  1957 oldsmobile conv rear trim is same  .. & also some other GM too  ...theres a pontiac set going for $899 atm   & that chevy GM trim you got pictured looks to be listed for $1300   .. ..oi vai   :blink:  ..  heres some others you can find & that look very similar  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=convertible+molding&_sac=1&_sop=1&_vxp=mtr&_osacat=6028&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xconvertible+boot+molding.TRS1&_nkw=convertible+boot+molding&_sacat=6028

RPM has a dash frame  going for $58 on ebay atm...you would be better off to find a wreck & get the complete dash  ...if you need a good parts car to complete your project ..

check out  http://www.yakaz.com/results.php?what=1957+buick&cc=US&gbin=&zm=&v=txt&gid=QAjP&from=form&match=msg#lo=4&docid=000cpp48lfcdtl9c

Edited by coupekid (see edit history)

Thanks for the headsup on the one on ebay, I will keep my eyes open for one. 

As for the dash, I have one that I can get from a guy that has 5 spare dashes!  It's just, I've never seen where the switch is for the convertible top, or what it looks like, and google images are not coming up with anything.

I do have a 57 special convertible which i restored last year & a 57 Buick Hardtop i restored 22 yrs ago  ....the switch is exactly like a headlight switch or like your blower switch,,or your chrome pull air vent switch ,radio dial/volume switch, chrome cigarette lighter handle  etc ..basically a round chrome button head ...you pull out to get the top down ..push in to get top up    ...the only difference with the convertible top round button switch is ..it has a small arrow head on the face of the knob ..pointing upwards .. (when i mean an arrow head i mean like  on the play button on a home stereo) ... all you need is a button from any another buick if you have the activating switch mechanism. The convertible top switch is located next to the foot brake warning light or in place of it ( or next to where drivers side air vent pull knob is located or where it states accessories on left side of steering wheel )

• 2 months later...

So I found a rear boot pinchweld off a olds 98.  The pictures look good but I am not sure if it will be interchangeable with a 57 Buick special.  Does anyone know if the pinch weld are interchangeable between the Buick Special <--> Roadmaster and from a Olds 88 or 98.  The 98 is a longer car, but did they stretch out the pinch weld to get that length, or is it the same between an Olds 88 and 98?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Lancemb,

That is the item that I am looking at.  He says it is off a 98, but I cannot find out if the part will fit a 88.  

Does anyone have a parts book that will show if the part number on the Buick pinch weld is the same between the special/century and the roadmaster?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Yohdda said:

Hello g g g0,

The wheel base is longer in the 98, but I don't know if on the convertible if the stretch is done in the back seat area where the pinch weld is.

Jason 

I believe the extended length of the 98 is all in the rear quarter, behind the seat and glass. Rear glass and quarter glass and roof panels are the same as an 88.

Gary

8 hours ago, Yohdda said:

Lancemb,

That is the item that I am looking at.  He says it is off a 98, but I cannot find out if the part will fit a 88.  

Does anyone have a parts book that will show if the part number on the Buick pinch weld is the same between the special/century and the roadmaster?

Thanks!

I think the question is whether or not 88 and 98 are same, which they should be as Gary pointed out since they have same roofline.  This roofline is also shared by the Special and Century, so the trim should be same.  The Special/Century does NOT have same roofline as Super/Roadmaster though so I would not expect those to be same.  However, that shouldn't be a concern for you, so I would be pretty sure you'd be okay with these pieces on Ebay (as long as they are what seller says they are).

• Like 1

Hello,

So that pinch weld on ebay didn't pan out (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1957-Convertible-Pinch-Well-Surround-1958-Oldsmobile-buick-LOOK-at-last-pic-RARE-/291976079975?hash=item43fb216a67:g:kTwAAOSwqBJXXYqH&vxp=mtr)  

I was dealing with the guy and he originally listed it for $295 plus shipping then after I asked him a couple of question about it he jacked it up to $795 plus shipping, I just found that very underhanded of the guy.  It's unfortunate that I could not work out a deal with him, but oh well, I will keep on searching for one, so I am still in the market...

11 hours ago, g-g-g0 said:

and g-g-g0, I love what you are doing with yours!  I have been following your project for some time!  Good work!  This spring I will be pulling mine out and take some better photos of my project to show the custom frame, suspension, etc. 

• Like 1