Mystery Make 1933? complete hood...help ID it???

Guest brucetrueman

Guest brucetrueman

Here's a very nice complete hood.   When I got this, I was told it was 1933 Ford car.   But a knowledgable Ford guy says it is not.  Can you tell me what it is not?  Do you know this is not a Plymouth hood, for example??   Please send me a note!!  Thanks!!  

This has 18 louvers per side.   The louver nearest to the cowl is stamped, but not cut out.   The louver nearest to the radiator is 10 3/8" long.
The top of the side piece, right below the hinge, is 36 1/8" long. 
The longest point of the hood top is 36 1/2" front to back.
At the back, from the center to the lower side of the hood half, it measures 22 1/2"  holding my tape measure around the curving metal.

Since it has a center handle with two internal acting latches on each side, I would think this is a 1930 or later hood.   I am thinking earlier hoods had outer latches most commonly, what do you think?

And it is nicely shaped, a shape suggesting a car not a truck or tractor....  and not too long, so it would not be a straight 8 car hood, most likely a straight 6 or do you think it could be a 4??

The 1933 Franklin, Buicks, Cadillacs, Chevys, Chryslers, Hudson,  Hupmobile,  LaSalle, Marmon, Nash, Packard, Pierce Arrows, Reo Royale, Stutz, Terraplane, Weymanne, and Willys - these all had rectangular doors of various types - so, my hood could not be any of these, I think.

The 1933 Cadillac had horizontal bulge lines on the hood sides.   As did the Austin roadster, and the Oldsmobiles.   Can't be one of these.

The Studebaker 8 hood is much longer. No.  Could this be a Studebaker 6?   But the horizontal body above the hood side is a uniform horizontal one, whereas my hood has a second horizontal spear starting above the first louver nearest the front, then, from there back, there are two horizontal lines, not just one.  See?

It could not be an Auburn, Dusey, Cord, Graham, Lincoln or Cunningham.   Long hoods, many more louvers.  Maybe a Continental?  They made a Light Flyer 6 and a 4 cyl Beacon.   Few survive, only produced 2504 cars in 1933.   DeSoto 6's had a frame around the louvers.  Not a match.   Dodge 8's - too long.  Dodge 6's - had a frame like the DeSotos.    Essex-Terraplane had two rows of louvers on each side.   Pontiac had only a few larger vertical louvers near the back of the hood side near the cowl, only.

Was the hood on a Ford Convertible Cabriolet different from hood on a Victoria?    A Plymouth PD???    A Rockne?  But the Rockne had a hood that was straight across at the top center front, and many more louvers on the side. . .

Please, add your "two cents"   . . .  . .  thanks,  Bruce

1933 Hood top

1933 hood top view

1933 hood drivers side

Edited by brucetrueman
Are photos viewable as "uploaded files" or do they need to be under "uploaded images"??? (see edit history)