Look what I bought

Restorer32

If it wasn't intended for road use, wouldn't it have been called the "OffRoadMaster"??  Just kidding.

The ads for the moped clearly state for "running around campus, running errands, going to work", so that should be sufficient on-road documentation.

AMF-Ad-1981-Tomorrows-parking-lot.jpg

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

If it wasn't intended for road use, wouldn't it have been called the "OffRoadMaster"??  Just kidding.

The ads for the moped clearly state for "running around campus, running errands, going to work", so that should be sufficient on-road documentation.

AMF-Ad-1981-Tomorrows-parking-lot.jpg

Looks like tomorrows parking lots are here today.

Its just about impossible to navigate a full sized vehicle in your mall lot these days.

The size of a parking lot space varies depending where you live.  Here, in Winchester, Virginia, the spaces are large enough to park, open all your doors, and still be able to walk around.

When I worked in Sacramento, California, the parking spaces were about six inches wider than the narrowest car.  It was awful...........

That AMF is a nice find!

Interesting thread.  Restorer, perhaps we could drag race - I will bring my late father in law's 1977 Puch, I believe comparable in gobs of power..

We owned a Puch in 1975-it cost 420. new and of course, red. great little bike and wish I still had it. Raced an older fella on a Garelli at the time. was his idea. Of course I pulled away, because I was about 140 IBS at the time-soaking wet! He looked a little disappointed. Wasnt quite a drag race, but fun just the same.........................!

and yes, bought because of the gas crisis. Unfortunately today, you need to register them, pretty much the same as a motorcycle in NJ.

Back then no registration was needed. just jump on and go.

Well, I am going to need a year to face off with Restorer.  Won't have time to get it running between now and Hershey!  AND the real reason - there is 40 Lbs less of me than there was in the Spring, I am at 200 now, still too much for 5'9"  (I never would have believed it but you do shrink over the years...) I won't get to "ideal" but I feel a lot better now and will feel better in another 20 lbs., the final goal.  I might have a fighting chance at 180...

Mercer, do the grey ones go as fast as the red ones?  Ours is grey or silver.  Amazingly, tires are holding air & look OK, brakes appear to work fine, No motorcycle license needed here in CT.  Will start to poke for an owner's manual though, as mice/moisture have made this one close to useless.  I will admit it was fun to knock all the dust off it - thick coat after 35 years or so.

We could do some bracket racing with the high wheelers on Friday morning. :)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

a) Remember when I had a VW Westphalia. If you came across another you could have an impromptu drag race and never break the speed limit.

b ) Since if you go a half mile in any direction from my house you are on a 40+ road, I consider 100cc the minimum. I have an '86 (qualifies for AACA) Honda "Spacy". 150cc liquid cooled and progenitor for all the Chinese ripoffs with CVTs.

spacy.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:14 AM, Restorer32 said:

Wild turkeys are soon becoming a nuisance here as well.

Here north of Detroit, it is the deer.  They are everywhere.  Just over grown rats that eat everything.  I live in a suburban setting and it is nothing to see groups of 6-8 walking through the back yard, front yard, standing in the street, everywhere just munching on all of the landscaping.  They are awful.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

We live next to a reservoir surrounded by woods and corn and soy bean fields. Deer are a constant problem. We've seen up to 25 in one group. We used to have a mulberry tree that overhung our deck. Deer would climb up on the deck to get to the young mulberry buds. When we had horses they would come in the barn and steal the horses' grain and hay.