ebay

Guest JT

Yes with e-bay you have to know what's what, I have see the hollander manuals with a starting bid higher then you can buy it directly from Hollander, or parts that are badly pitted, by the time you pay to get it fixed you could have had an NOS part for a little more. I have bought quite a bit of parts there even a complete car with no problem so far, BUT there is a lot of JUNK.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that one RO last night,<BR>but I don't have the sophistication that you guys have to be able to supply the total address. I was going to just tell everyone to go to e-bay and look for a 55 packard 400. That looks to be as good if not a better buy than chris new patrician.<BR>So who is next to bat to scarf up a good deal, i've done mine..... NEXT

Al, as far as the sophistication goes it "don't take any" here. This forum will automatically make a link out of a posted address. Just copy and paste.

Trent: I understand that and that is fine for those with a computer, but I am on web tv<BR>and it does not allow me that luxury. It does have its limitations but cei la vie.<BR>thanks. I have got that 400<BR>on watch just to see what it gets up to.

AlK,<BR> Sometimes you can type in a link using webtv by using the following sequence frown.gif" border="01) message (2) hit "return" button (3) enter the URL (4) hit "return" button (5) continue with message.<P> Now that I've opened my big mouth, let's see if my shoe fits. <A HREF="http://www.hemmings.com" TARGET=_blank>www.hemmings.com</A> <BR>If this doesn't work, I'm going back to bed. Tom

And did y'all see on ebay the fool in California who's trying to sell the 1982 Packard/Riviera/abomination that supposedly cost $65k to build. For that you could have had a real Packard and more.

Trent: i've only bought about 6 items using ebay (directly) over the last couple of years. Most of them in the 10-25 dollar range. Never tried to sell anything, but i should and was thinking about posting a few non-Packard and non-indian items i have in the 20-50 dollar range. BUT, what do u mean by 'cant sell anything over e-bay'?????? Give us a little 'education' on this. Rather than sell the items i'd much rather trade for things i need. But, that can be difficult.

Oh no quite the contrary, I think you can sell anything on ebay, sometimes for a ridiculous price as we all know. I've got a few non packard things I would like to get around to selling on ebay as well.

Hi Guys:<BR>2 things. 1st, that '400' went for $1,325. On the surface it looks like a fantastic deal but???????<BR>second can some one supply a link to that "pacuick" i did not get a chance to see it.

yeah, i like the car. but i would just as soon have the stock Buick styling. It was good try at retro styling, especially the rear. But, there is something about those headlites that does not look rite. <P>Anyone know where i can find one of those Super-Fly Caddy conversions from the late 70's or early 80's?????????????????..........

Thanks Ro: Since they used what appears to be a late 30's early 40's grille, they should have gone the rest of the way and used a 55/56 rear end either junior or senior.<BR>As it is it looks more like a riviera. They stopped before they should have.

• 2 weeks later...

NO, now that i said that. where can you advertize to millions for pennys?<BR>E Bay rules<BR>e bay Id pre16<BR>join us and have some fun<BR>Find things you think you need and sell things you thought you needed . Happy Hollidays to all . take my two cents for what it is worth<BR>Laverne Burt<BR>Yes winter came to Maine yesterday wink.gif" border="0

I must be one of he few people on earth that isnot interested in ebay. I have never visited the site and have no interest to do so. One rule in life is never buy anything from the internet, or do any type of money transactions. I would never buy a car from ebay unless it was close enough to go look at it first. Judging a car by pictures alone is very unwise. Pictures never tell the whole story, and can hide alot of defects. To all of you good Packard People have a HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON

I have obtained quite a few things off ebay from parts to brochures at better prices than elsewhere on a number of occassions. Examples include a never installed Rochester 4-bbl carburetor for $50, a NOS Studebaker Stromberg carburetor for $100, various trim, taillight lensses, etc. A recent brochure I wanted was for a '60 Chrysler. I looked at those at the big Daytona swapmeet and they were upwards of $35 for really very used copies. I got a brand new mint condition one for about $20 off ebay. There have been quite a few surprises where I obtained parts at very good prices. Remember too, my Packard Super Clipper is a result of ebay where it was located 100 miles away, so I went for a looksee, made an offer, and drove it home. Same for my Studebaker, although I had it transported but on an ""economical"" happened to be in the area at the time hauler. But a lot of items do go just nuts sometimes. Another item I got for less than $20 (think it was $13) was that in between doors trim pieces on the '55 Patricians. But I have seen the same thing go for much higher.

I forgot to mention the 1970 entire right back taillight assembly I bought for $5.00. Could not believe it but $5.00 + $7.50 shipping. Only time I had a misfortune was when I bought an electric fuel pump and it turned out bad. But, the guy sent me another one. Turns out it was bad also. But he refunded me all the money whenh I expkained to him that ""someone"" had apparently run alcohol or something through it that shot the seals. From the two, however, it was possible to rebuild one good one and that is the one I have hooked up to my working Kaiser engine on the stand in the garage.

Let me add another 2 or 3 cents to the e-bay discssion. I can vouch for it from both buyer and seller viewpoints. I can safely say I have purchased many items on e-bay and as of yet have not goten a bad deal. Not only car parts but other things that I collect as well(except blondes, my wife won't let me bid on those). I have also sold a number of items, that I would never have sold had I kept them and brought them to shows. To answer Pre-16s questions, yes to both. I would buy a nice car off of e-bay depending on the circumstances. I did put my 51 wifes Patrician out there to test the waters. Needless to say the bids were dissapointing, but no more so that some of the twits you run into at a car corral, that sit there and nitpick every little flaw that you already know about, trying to get the price down to peanuts. For the price and the lack of aggravation I think it's great. In fact before i go and spend at least a couple of hundred dollars on a major show or auction I may run chris 51 Patrician out there again.