road kill

Saw the usual assortment of dead chevy and ford cars on the trip out here to NM. Guy in Santa Fe still has a tarped (or is that moss???) collection of late 50s studes and packabakers. On the way back to TX I plan to stop in Santa Rosa, NM to look at the recently opened Rt. 66 car museum. But looks to be just a bunch of chevies and hot rods and such.

Steve. Chevrolet as well as all of GM is more near and dear to my heart than anyones. The massive resurrection of old chevies as well as the nearly unanomous use of the chevy engine among transplants even into fords stands as nearly a half decade tribute to engineering (especialy the small block v8) UNSURPASSED by ANY manufacturer. Probably ranks as the 8th wonder of the world.<BR>Nonetheless (or nevermore) i like the Packards because they ARE different. not everyone has Packard and even fewer CAN have one. It is the near infallability of the chevy that allows the 'average guy' to restore a chevy with ease. It is such cars as the Packard, Cord, Hudson etc that requires the diligence of a rare breeded few of us to own and operate such 'orphans'.<P>WE still need to tolerate the 'common' chevies. Much of what has been learned from them are used to propagate our orphnas from obscurity. I dont think any of us own Packards for nostalgic reasons but rather because we demand something different as well as elegaant. The average seek only the best of the average ... a few of us look further to the exotic.

Before you get to excited over the Chevrolet's superiority, remember the Vega, the car that cost Chevrolet the number 1 spot in the sales race. It is truely unfortunate that onew of these rusted out 40,000 wonders with a blown engine isn't in one of the auto museums, as it is one of the most significant automobiles ever made due to the distruction it caused General Motors.

Dave: Saw a Vega sitting in a car lot in Kileen on my recent drive to the Hill Country. Hadn't seen one in years. Also haven't seen a Pinto and ther were legions of those. What I do see a lot of is the first generation Mopar K Cars. They seem to run forever, even though the look dismal.

Dave F; The 'destruction of GM'??????? That would make a good comedy show. If GM is ever layed to rest we will have much bigger things to worry about than transportation, roads, or even money. It was Chyrsler that nearly destroyed itself during the mid 70's due to corporate incest. Fords demise nearly occured due to the old mans anti-semitism.

Thank heaven for Fords and Chrysler products. Without them, what would GMC tow truck operators DO..?<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big Springs, AZ<P>Gawd...Vegas and Pintos...! Yeah..I agree...hardly a bight spart in American technological history....!<P>But then we have the "mouse" (what the kids call the "small block Chevy). I cannot BELIEVE what kind of abuse those things can take. In heavy boats ( I have a 28 ft. ocean going cabin cruiser - 10 ft beam) so as is typical of boats, we run "wide open under heavy load" most of the time. I finally blew up the "350" that it came with, thru just plain stupidity on my part...got a little carried away trying to "bump up" the spark to get the last ounce of power from it. I am positive any other motor (including a Packard Twelve ) would have come un-glued LONG before I finally managed to break this thing...!) Solved the problem with a "400" series "mouse" - same basic block - MUCH more power. And now...back to the superiority of the Packard Twelve....Did I ever tell you about the time...etc...etc...etc....!

Well, the Santa Rosa car museum was as expected - lots of 50s GM and Ford. But if you are sailing down I40 and need a diversion, it beats the gator heads and indian blankets at Stuckey's.

While I think the GM 4.3 is the best V6 around compaired to Ford and MoPar. Ford and MoPar both build fine V8's. The only advantage to the Chevy V8 is that so many of them have been made, and parts for them are cheaper. All of the car makers including the Japs have built thier share of junk over the years. Around my neck of the woods the American made autos and trucks seem to last longer than the foriegn stuff

See how I got Pete and John to agree on something? And the rest of you said it couldn't be done. I should have taken bets... I could buy a Senior Packard with the money.

Well, we don't agree that Ford's antisemitism caused him to loose market share. All sourses I have read state that Ford lost its dominant position in the market because of the refusal to change the Model T. Consumers wanted something more modern, and that something at the time was a GM product.

REGARDING FORDS....JEWS...and JUNK !<P>I agree with BOTH of you guys ! I have a hazy recollection of reading something about what a nut case Ford was on the subject of jews. Something about him financing a manuscript which evolved into the PROTOCOLS OF ZION, a rabidly anti semitic book that other jew haters love to use to point out their "thing" with jews. My recollection is he couldn't get anyone to go for the manuscript here in the United States, but his agent finally got a nibble from the rabidly anti semetic Czarist Secret Police. I forget how they actually handled it getting into print.<P>But the fact that some jews still have a "hard on" against Ford products is only a SMALL part of the "Ford image problem" down thru the years. Fact is, Ford was a mean spirited vicious cruel-hearted bastard, and his determination to cheapen his products even KNOWING that users would suffer casualties nothwithstanding, was a major element in why many people wont even CONSIDER anything made by Ford. An excellent example is the cowl mounted gasoline tank ( right over your legs ! ) in the Model "A". I forget when Ford finally gave up and put the gas tanks where they belong. As early as around 1912, the SAE's technical papers started terming gas tanks under, over, or around passengers was a gross safety violation, preventing its practice amongst members. <P>Some of us remember what pre war Fords were like to work on as used cars, and how they compared with the quality found in Chrysler and GMC products. My belief is that while Ford's nutty attitude towards jews certainly didn't win him much sympathy with fair-minded customers, the PRODUCTS and their lousy quality were a more significant component.<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big Springs, AZ<P>( and dedicated FORD hater...! )