Help me price this 29

Ltaylor

I'm new to your form, but will just dive in. I'm selling my 29 Dodge Brothers DA, and don't know where to begin to price it. It's all original, interior is done, engine runs good,gas tank has been flushed and coated, radiator has been flushed and checked out, brakes have been rebuilt,running boards have been replaced, wheels have been refinished, there is still work to be done, but for health reasons it's time to sell. Any suggestions ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hard to tell from just two pictures, but it looks like a nice car.  The sedan body style and yellow paint work against it.  Depending on your location and the amount of work needed to finish, I'd say between $8000 and $12,000 on a very good day.  You can always put it on EBay and see what it brings.

The 29 DA is a popular car, not sure if Dodge Brothers used yellow?? that's a minus in my opinion, but like the other gent said hard to tell in two pic's but a good price for a guy to really put it back oem original restoration would be 6500 for a war that two guys have to have it 8500, pray if you do ebay, it does not fall to another chop shop rod  and be destroyed as this aaca web forum generally tries to preserve cars.

Good Luck!:rolleyes:

I'll probably wright something up, and put it on the forum, in case anybody has any interest in it. I have some new parts and some books that will go with it, so it will take. A couple weeks to get it together. Haven't decided on a price yet ( I'm flexible ) but you guys have helped a lot. Thanks

Guest 1935 Dodge Van

I was supplying my car for a movie once and the movie company convinced a guy to have his car painted as a taxi in that yellow and black at their cost. He left it that way and I believe had it used in another movie as a taxi. It may be how this one got this way. 

On 9/15/2016 at 1:19 PM, thehandleman said:

"The 29 DA is a popular car, not sure if Dodge Brothers used yellow?? that's a minus in my opinion"

Absolutely YES Dodge Brothers used yellow! As an example, in 1927-28, the Dodge Victory line included an entire spectrum of colors and color combinations.

In John Bittence’s excellent treatise on Late 20’s Dodges includes an April 1928 announcement entitled “Color Program Victory Line” wherein Dodge Brothers dealers were advised that each color scheme would run in production for about three weeks. The result would be that every dealer would have at least two to three different colors on hand at all times. “For the dealers who want to paint still further variations, we can furnish any car ...with surfacer finish (primer), with a $17.50 allowance net (i.e., a refund back to the dealer).” It appears that one could purchase a 1928-29 DB in ANY available color if you found a cooperative dealer.

John offers a host of pictures of these very pretty Victories in his book (highly recommended reading). Hopefully John will allow me to share one picture below featuring an original 1928 Dodge Brothers paint job.

1928 dodge victory yellow john bittence photo crop.JPG

Also I include for reference some paint chips from the Chrysler Corp in 1931. I have some from 1929 also, but I need to locate them. The paint chips come from a fantastic treasure trove of paint info at http://paintref.com.

1931 chrysler corp De Soto color chips includes yellow (  ) 001541.jpg

1931 chrysler corp color chips includes yellow violet 000282.jpg

1931 chrysler corp color chips includes yellow (partridge cream) 000281.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:32 PM, Ltaylor said:

I'm new to your form, but will just dive in. I'm selling my 29 Dodge Brothers DA, and don't know where to begin to price it. It's all original, interior is done, engine runs good,gas tank has been flushed and coated, radiator has been flushed and checked out, brakes have been rebuilt,running boards have been replaced, wheels have been refinished, there is still work to be done, but for health reasons it's time to sell. Any suggestions ?

I think your car is quite nice so please don't be offended.  I believe the suggested prices are reasonable.  However I would be careful on your write up for your car.  In your first sentence you say it's all original.  Then you say the interior Is done.  These statements are opposite.  If the interior is not exactly as it came from the factory it is not original.  If it has been restored it should look original because original materials have been used to duplicate the original.  I'm not saying it looks bad I'm just suggesting that someone who knows exactly what a 29 Dodge interior looks like might be skeptical about things that they cannot see when you say up front that it is two different things.  As soon as a person can find anything that is not as stated they either back off or start trying to low ball you.

I wish you all the best in your sale.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

(Too) many people use "original" and "authentic" interchangeably.  To me, "original" means the materials installed/applied at the factory, and "authentic" means restored or refurbished with materials as close as possible to those used by the factory.

Right , George. The meaning of "original" has become diluted by misuse. I have to describe my old Cadillacs now as "original , unrestored". I qualify that by mentioning that the '24 has suffered a repaint , in original colors , etc. Look what has happened to "Classic". A classic '57 whatever ?????. 'Bird ? Chev ? Classics ? Hardly. They are "Fin Era" cars. Came along far after automotive styling and design went through its "Classic Period". "True Classic , (TM)" now becomes necessary in order to differentiate. Kindda like Chuck Berry telling Beethoven to "Roll over and tell Tchaikovsky the news". You , Chuck , may be the purveyor of "Classic R&B" , but it's not "Classical Music".

Ltaylor : Thank you for posting. Industrial design applied to automobiles at the end of the "Nickei Era" ushered in the the great "Classic Period". Integration of sweeping curves with rectilinearity and a sophisticated sense of proportion (accentuated in some cases by creative use of color) ,  combined with substantial mechanical prowess. This fertile tide lifted most other lesser cars also. At the top of your makes conglomerate heap would have been the striking Imperials. Classic in every way , those advanced conveyances. Your car though not Classic , or original is a nice looking car. The yellow "Vicky" idrjoe_sandiego comes off quite well , with the pleasant lines and proportion characteristic of those 2 doors. GLWS , Ltaylor. But more than that , I wish you a favorable outcome regarding health issues. I , along with many of us old folk here , have learned far too much about that subject in our declining years. I hope you are old like us , and get well soon. Your forum friend , Cadillac Carl

WOW !!!!!!  I guess I need to be politically correct. The materials used to referbish the interior were as close as possible to those used in the factory. It looks very close to what it looked like when I got it, except a lot newer. The price I settled on is $9500.00, that's a middle of the road price to start at. Thank you C Carl for your wishes for good health, I appreciate that. 

Len , I hope you are advertising in other places. I keep reading that AACA forums is a weak place to sell. It happens , but since health is the/an issue , exposure is very important. We have been warned against any "on line brokers". My heart goes out to everyone who has to make this decision. I have made a difficult choice as a result of health problems in old age. I guess we are lucky we have things to sell. The very LAST things to go will be my '20s Cadillacs , as long as I can still drive them.  - Carl