1950s Packard Race Cars

WCraigH

Don't know about after 1953, but the Hudson Horners won many of the races at Daytona, etc. in 1951-54 with that Twin-H power 308 engine. Nice photos Craig.

In 1952 Bill France driving a Packard set the second fastest US stock car record at Daytona 98.22. A Chrysler Hemi was the fastests at 100.94. A Packard placed 9th at the 1952 Pan American road race. in 55 or 56 a stock Packard taken right off the production average 104.7 for 25,000 settngan unofficial record at the time. The endurance run was done on the Packard test. It turns out the track was not a certified course, that means the ffeat didn't make the reocrd books.

Steve, just been lurking. Been busy on the cars preparing for winter and the last car shows of the season, in fact heading out in about 30 minutes.

Race car ans. Racing was on dirt, usually 1/2 mile, a few 1 mile. NASCAR knew very little about PACKARDS. We installed an Iskey cam solid lifters and tubelar chrome moley push rods, and later heads from a "400", with a right front coil spring from a Henny hearse, double shocked. It would run so fast on straight aways to scare you till you found out there was a left turn to make 2 times a lap, then all 4 wheels washed to outside. Only way I could get it to handle was drive all tracks along outside fence, which I left a lot of paint on. We won a few around home but not in NASCAR. At home with ex.Holman Moody Fords and light Chevys competion was tight. our sprint car had torsion, so a 56 HT that was totaled, with torsion was bought from Ins. co. After repairs took to Williams Grove 1/2 mile dirt close to Harrisburg, Pa. to test.We towed to Darlington SC 1 mile macadam. Couldn't get it right so pulled up on rear bumper, and while rear low cut the switch, thinking low rear better, HA. Made 2 laps got black flag, back to pits. Pit boss said you have broken rear springs, park it. Told him no springs on it. He got down to look thought us Yankees were cheating. Finally called Packard dealer In Atlanta Ga. They told him it was factory option. They were still fighting Northern people, and gave us hard times most every where, even though the Southern guys were running moomshine through the week. There's lots more but "U" get the idea. Nascar only paid back 20, places and we usually finished 21st or worse and got our $15.00 tow money. Jack

Thanks to Jack P for posting his detailed recollection of his racing Packards in the Souther-racing and NASCAR days! I too experienced this "prejudice" when I was racing 455SD Pontiacs in NHRA in the early '70s. Man, if it ain't Chebby or Fooooord to some of these guys, then it ain't real. But we did kick some serious butt! BTW, I also set an NHRA national record in 1977 in SS/KA, beating out a bunch of Camaros in the process. That was fun!<p>[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: Craig LV ]