valve washers

Guest JT

While taking my valve springs out of my 40 120 I noticed star washers between the springs and block. I assume these are to help with preventing the valves from rotating in the head and recessing the seats. I found one or two had splits so I want to replace them all. Was this type proven to be needed or is there an alternative? The guy at the machine shop who is an old timer was not familiar with them.

Actualy, it is BEST if the valves DO rotate. In fact many 'modern' as well as high performance engines run positive valve rotators that add weight to the valve train. I'm not sure what the 'star washers' r that u speak of. R the star washers shown in the manual???????? maybe it gives an explanatio there.

if the star washers r not a factory or service part then maybe they were added by some shade tree to compensate for weak springs???? its not uncommmon to shim valve springs but i have never seen any that could be described as a 'star' that u speak of.

I checked manual and parts book and found the following. In the parts book they call it a "shakeproof 3/4 lockwasher". In the manual it's refers to a "serrated washer at the top of each valve spring to prevent valve rotation."

That's the washer between the valvespring and the block helps keep the valve spring centered, the early ones pre 53? did not have the star on the outside. I heard it had somthing to do with oiling the valve guides. A 52 engine I have has semi flat, the 54 has the toothed design and may have been used as a retro fit.