Options for a 1934 Buick?

V.Milke

Hi:

I am not new to the forum nor to Buicks, as I have a 1947 Roadmaster Sedanette and a 1964 Riviera... but I am new to prewar Buicks!

I just commited to purchase a 1934 coupe, series 50, which has an older and not very correct restoration. The car is mostly complete except for the sidemount side covers (it does have the tread cover parts), carburator, air cleaner, interior door handles, and surely a few bits more. I intend to restore the car properly... but for now I am trying to get the missing parts and to start learning about the cars, so I am interested to find out about the correct GM optional items for them.

My car does have the sidemounts, a rear trunk rack with trunk (not sure this last one is correct) and a radio. What other options were offered from the factory for these cars? 

Thanks!

Victor

16.06, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, Don Juanito Martin +(2).JPG

16.09, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, Don Juanito Martin + (1).JPG

16.06, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, Don Juanito Martin +(57).JPG

Thank you Pete. I have wanted a 3 window coupe for over 30 years, and this is the first one I have been able to get. 

Would you know if the radio's antenna was an external one or if it went under the car?

I would love to see a pic of an original heater. A friend of mine once had a 1934 Cadillac and he gave me the heater... if I get real lucky, it might be the same... though honestly the one I got looks a bit simple for a Cadillac... maybe it is an aftermarket unit.

The radio antenna was chicken wire inside the fabric roof with a cable extending down through the left side A-pillar.

There was a choice of wheels on 50/60/90 series--artillery (as shown) or wire. Single spare (standard) or sidemounts (optional).

I learned how to drive on a 1934 56S (w/rumble seat) and had it until 2007; the model 56 has a trunk compartment instead; the 56C was a convertible coupe.

Thank you, Grimy!

So, from your description, what I have should be a 56S as it is a series 50 coupe with rumble seat, and it has the artillery wheels with sidemounts. I will try to find out if it still has the cable to the chicken wire roof.

Just checked the plate... yes, it is a 56S, so I am guessing it is very similar to the one you learned to drive on. 

Were the stainless trim rings an option on artillery wheels? My car has them and I have found many pics of 1934 cars with them also.

Would you or anybody know where to find the list of colors available originally to the car? I am not too fond of what it has now, a red with metallic burgundy fenders. I am thinking of going monotone in an original shade of beige, green or blue.... but of course I would love to find samples to give myself an idea of how it would look.

Thanks!

victor

16.06, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, Don Juanito Martin +(88).JPG

By the way... I failed to mention that I live in Queretaro, Mexico, and though the car does not have the original invoice, I am guessing it was originally sold down here as the speedometer would seem to be in kilometers, as it goes up to 150, which would be a bit over 90 mph.

16.06, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, Don Juanito Martin +(63).JPG

Hi Victor,

The 'miles' speedo went to 100 which is beyond optimistic.  All 50s had 4.88 differentials, so a max cruising speed should be about 45 mph.

Buick had a standard color for each body style, but one could order anything else on their palette.  The 50 coupes' color was Malolo Tan.

My car did not have trim rings on its artillery wheels. My great-aunt purchased it in 1938 as a second car (to a 1931 90 5-p sedan) from a neighbor who was the original purchaser.  My car had the rear-mounted (single) spare wheel and tire with metal cover.  I like the appearance of the trim rings.  I had planned to use blackwall tires which would probably serve to visually lengthen the 119-inch wheelbase.

The car was transferred to me when I was 18 years old, and I wrote to Buick asking for information.  I received a personal letter, NOS Owners Manual, and NOS Shop Manual--FREE!  Times have changed since 1960!  I'd asked for production numbers, and the letter (it went with the car when I sold it) reported that 1,150 56S coupes were built.  The Standard Catalog from 1985 or so also reports that same production number.  I had the car weighed and as I recall, it was 3900-something lbs.

Great information, Grimy, thanks for sharing it!

So, Malolo Tan... I wonder if that is what corresponds to the 852 paint number it has on it's plate... and I like the idea of black walls too! and the trim rings I think look good also!

I browsed the net and found some paint chips... I like the Malolo tan!, but I love the Berkley green!! Of course, I would need to find an original paint chip sheet to see the actual colors as I have always heard you can't really trust what you see in a monitor.

gm_1934_buick_acme_c_01.jpg

Edited by v.milke (see edit history)

Victor, this is a gut feeling and my color vision is not the best, but all these chips appear TO ME to have darkened substantially over the years.  My car had been repainted tan in the early 1950s, and it seems to me that the original (on firewall) was more of a rich "British Tan."  You might try to find an original spot, such as the underside of the cowl vent, which may have escaped a repaint--whatever the original color was.

You might be able to find original formulas and get them adopted to modern materials, and purchase a small amount of potential colors and spray some pieces of sheet metal large enough to place against the car for a better concept of what the car would look like.  My imagination is lacking when I see small chips.

I'm sorry but my reference materials went with the car, so can't tell you what 852 is. My interior upholstery was a tan Bedford Cord, and the rumble seat was a medium-brown imitation leather.

If/when you have the car repainted, may I suggest that you have the shop weld in stiffeners around the lower left and lower right corners where the rumble seat back rests--inside the body tub so they will be unseen.  These areas tend to develop cracks with time and use.

Thanks, Grimy. I think you are right and they all look very dark.

There are some paint chips for sale on ebay, and I asked the seller if they included the malolo tan... and it turns out there were three malolo tans... 

I got the paint chips... expensive but well worth it.

Thanks,

victor

Paint chips 1934 Buick 50,60 y 90.jpg

16 hours ago, Grimy said:

Hi Victor,

The 'miles' speedo went to 100 which is beyond optimistic.  All 50s had 4.88 differentials, so a max cruising speed should be about 45 mph.

Buick had a standard color for each body style, but one could order anything else on their palette.  The 50 coupes' color was Malolo Tan.

My car did not have trim rings on its artillery wheels. My great-aunt purchased it in 1938 as a second car (to a 1931 90 5-p sedan) from a neighbor who was the original purchaser.  My car had the rear-mounted (single) spare wheel and tire with metal cover.  I like the appearance of the trim rings.  I had planned to use blackwall tires which would probably serve to visually lengthen the 119-inch wheelbase.

The car was transferred to me when I was 18 years old, and I wrote to Buick asking for information.  I received a personal letter, NOS Owners Manual, and NOS Shop Manual--FREE!  Times have changed since 1960!  I'd asked for production numbers, and the letter (it went with the car when I sold it) reported that 1,150 56S coupes were built.  The Standard Catalog from 1985 or so also reports that same production number.  I had the car weighed and as I recall, it was 3900-something lbs.

I have a 34 Buick too and like Grimy said, i can go about 40 MPH and feel comfortable . I don't understand why Buick put that big V-8 in the cars and a 4.88

rear end . I would love to go at least a little faster. 

00v0v_bZPX1cxId32_600x450.jpg

Bob, thanks for your post. Beautiful car! Again the same bumperguards I have... so I am glad I have them.

And yes!, 40 mph does sound a bit boring, but it's the price to pay for having such a nice ride! I have a 1933 Packard and I also enjoy it to about 45 or maybe 50 mph, but not much over that... feels reving to high if I go over that.

Ok, guys... comming back to options, and looking at the list for the series 40 that Buick64C posted, I have a few questions:

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT, FACTORY INSTALLED...

1. It would seem that bumpers were optional equipment fitted at the factory... "single bar V-type chromed plated bumpers". Is that really the case? Were bumpers an option or am I getting something wrong? I know I haven't seen a 1934 Buick pic of a car without bumpers.

2. Lock. When sidemounts, I take it would be a lock on each one. Can anybody tell me how these locks look like? A picture would be wonderful!

"SPECIAL EQUIPMENT, PURCHASABLE FROM DEALER..."

3. Bumper guards: as mentioned above, I have them, but only at the front bumper. Is this normal or shoudl I have them in the rear bumper also. I also have a triangular shaped center bumper guard that I suppose is aftermarket.

And these items, I would love to have a picture would be great to know what I need to look for:

4. Gas tank cap with lock. 

5. Heater. 

6. Metal license plate frame.

7. Onyx type gear shift ball.

8. Spot light

The rest of the options, apparently my car has them. As you see, I am trying to get as most factory/dealer correct options as possible... the ones I like only. That is what I do when I restore a car. Think how I would have gotten it from the dealer back then... the color and the options I would have chosen.

thanks!

victor

On 11/9/2016 at 3:35 PM, Buick64C said:

This is from a 40 series, but hopefully it helps.

Page_16_JPG.jpg

On 12/9/2016 at 10:42 PM, sean1997 said:

The BCA judging manual has paint codes (see page 44 of 85):

http://www.buickclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/bca_judging_manual.pdf

My trim code list is located here:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/231704-1932-1975-buick-trim-codes-by-model/

Looks like maybe paint code 352 and trim code 202.

Sean:

Thanks a lot for your post. Very informative. So, from the information you posted:

Paint code 352 means my car was originally Century blue with Century blue dark moulding and Empire blue light stripe. Wheels, if I understand correctly, either Century blue (which would be my choice) or Empire blue light... or perhaps the list means Century blue with Empire blue pintstripe.

Trim code 202 is Gray whipcord, according to your compilation, which has an astonishing amount of work, congratulations!

Perhaps I should keep my car as originally supplied... it may look very good as described! I will check on the paint chips once I get them to get an idea of the tone of blue and see how much I like it... but again, sounds attractive IMHO.

Thanks again!

Victor

• 2 weeks later...

I got my paint chips... and Century blue (which according to the data plate was my car's original color) appears attractive! I will probably go back to it eventually, once I restore the car, but Empire blue (for the pinstripe) is not shown. Also, Century Blue dark for the moulding is not shown, though two different numbers for Century blue are shows, so perhaps one of them is the darker and the other one the lighter.

Any chance somebody has a picture of a car with that combo? 

I am also making a list of the parts I need to source, like a carburetor, air cleaner, etc... I will post my needs in the parts section.

But while at options, I would love to ask: does my trunk seem original? I know it was not with the car and was bought at Hershey some 25 years ago or so, as a friend of mine was with the past owner when he got it. He adapted a bar on the interior and perhaps some exterior decoration... but I would like to know if I have a correct trunk or not... any ideas? 

Look at the last pic... no wonder the car was nicknamed Buick-Bar back then!

Thanks!

Victor

16.09, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, vmg (4).JPG

16.09, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, vmg (3).JPG

16.09, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, vmg (2).JPG

16.09, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, Don Juanito Martin + (17).JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Victor -

I want to say, NO, that it is not original as I personally have never seen a Buick trunk with the handles on the side like those, and the folding front (as well as back.......never seen that....period)  Cool concept, though!  Buick trunks were distinctive with the painting matching the body, lifting from the top and having the two metal trim strips down either side with the latches at the top that opened the top only.  No emblem on them either.  Google 1934 Buicks, and take a look at the pictures.  All the trunks are the same except for the leather ones that are aftermarket that people put on the cars that look like they are from the 20's.  Marty Roth is a great source for this type of information.  Put his name in the "search" and maybe get his PM on the forum.

Jay

Novato, CA

6 hours ago, v.milke said:

The handles could have been added, same as the emblem, when the trunk was modified to turn into a bar... But the fact is it does open on the front. Was Buick's original trunk a fixed wall trunk with no opening front? 

Yes - no front opening.

The trunk does look original large series Buick with modifications as identified by others - handles and opening front etc.

Don't get confused with the specifications or accessories for a 1934/35 40 Series Buick. These are very different to the larger Series having a newly designed engine with downdraft carby ( check out the HP difference between the 40 and 50 Series )  and smaller body panels, trunk racks, trunks, instruments, bumpers etc, etc. Very little is interchangeable between a 40 Series and a 50 Series.

img-161103080819-001.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

• 9 months later...

I just learned the hard way that there were at least two different sizes of hubcaps, one with a 7" diameter (I mean the part going into the wheel), and other's with a 6.5" diameter. I am guessing the smaller one was for the series 40. Also, two different designs, at least: one with two thin indented circles at the outer part of the hubcap and others with a couple of thick indented circles.

Can anybody help me understand the difference? 

Thanks!

Victor

• 1 year later...

Hi guys:

I still here and haven't restored the Buick yet, but I do use it as is. I have already removed the after market parts, like the extra lights and center triangular bumper guard, leaving only the two originals up front.

The reason I haven't restored it yet is that I first like to gather all the missing parts, and since in this topic I was asking for correct options, I want to ask about the radio.

Does somebody know the correct model for the radio? I only have the radio head and I am not even sure if it is original or not. I am attaching a pic. Does it look like the correct radio head? 

Thanks!

Victor

16.06, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, Don Juanito Martin +(67).JPG

16.06, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, Don Juanito Martin +(66).JPG

17.07, 1934 Buick series 50 coupe, vmg  (8).JPG

Yes, it will be done in the original coloring the car had according to it's plate: Century blue with century blue dark moulding and Empire blue paint stripe in the moulding and in the wheels, with the grey whipcord interior. I want to go with blackwalls too. I  think will look MUCH sharper (better!) that is is now.

Problem is I want to find the missing parts before I embark on it's restoration. I will open a thread looking for them.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...