1913 McLaughlin

ROD W

Looking at this 1913 McLaughlin Buick,  Engine looks the same as the 201 cu inch  except for the magneto, Any one seen this style of mag before. McLaughlin engine on top,  Buick  below.  Body different to Buick,  doors hinged from front.   I am assuming  McLaughlin used the Buick running gear 

IMG_2602.JPG

SAM_4137.jpg

IMG_2599.JPG

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)

McLaughlins were Canadian. Buick chassis with a McLaughlin produced body.  From the photos it looks good except as noted the wrong magneto ( the original is poor and often upgraded) and a weird fan brace set up.  It is a model 31 with the 201 engine, Buick's most popular car in 1913.  By the way the radiator is brass as shown but should be painted black to match the fenders or should I say wings.  Gary

Garry,   A number of things seem to be different to  the 1913 Flint Buick .  The brass carbide lights where as the Flint Buick had electric lights in 1913.  The brass radiator surround which looks different to the steel radiator surround.  It doesn,t  have front bucket seats,  Its definitely the 201 cu" motor.   I,m wondering if  it,s a 1912 

Rod; My model 31, 1913, Flint Buick has a brass radiator painted black and carbide headlamps with oil side lights.  I've seen a model 31 McLaughlin and have a photo I'll try and find but from memory your car looks correct, except I thought it may have had cowl ventilators.  The '12 model has a round radiator emblem and the '13 is a large square, the McLaughlin is diamond shaped.  Couldn't say off hand about the front seat.   Gary

Rod;  What are the numbers of the car.  The serial number is stamped on a round aluminum plate on the front left frame near the headlamp mount. engine number is stamped on the engine mount left hand side and body numbers are stamped an many wooden body parts.  Gary

I found a picture I took perhaps 15 years ago of a 1913 McLaughlin model 31 and it shows a bench seat in the front, rear mounted spare tire and an all wood body.  This car had electric generator/starter with electric head and side lamps.  I did not look to see how the starter connected to the flywheel, darn.  The car was for sale many years ago so it must be in someone possession,  Not saying it is the one you are looking at, this one was in Michigan.  Gary

McLaughlin was more likely to carry over items like that from the previous year until they ran out. I seem to recall hearing that Buisk shipped some of those things to Oshawa when they made changes (not sure how reliable either the tale or the memory are on that). 

I do do know for 1929 that there were running changes that ordered through the year, so it makes sense that would have happened in prior times too. 

Derek,  I agree,  I understand that often changes made in Flint were not carried over  till a later time in Australia,  so I,m sure the same would have happened in Canada,  and I have heard that McLaughlan  bodies were always different to the Flint bodies in the earlier cars.  I was just wondering if possibly incorrect changes had been made to this car during a previous restoration.  As in the case of the steering wheel and controls,  Im sure there from a later year.

IMG_2607.JPG

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...