Throttle Adjustment -'56

1956Packard

I spent the day tuning up the 400 and went a little far. I adjusted the throttle linkage - as per manual and SC's. Now it seems to shift a whole lot better but immediately following the shift into 3rd (while in D (I still haven't got the grasp of a T-U)) there is about a half second of chatter which comes from the transmission.<BR>Anyone know which of the adjustments caused this? I don't want to start messing around blindly. <BR>Are there some unwritten rules about those adjustments?<BR>Thanks

its called direct drive groan. My 56 executive with 42K ACTUAL miles on it does the same thing and its a characteristic of the trans to do that. You will find that under hard acceleration (such that it does not shift to direct drive until about 40 mph or higher) there is NO groan. It only seems to happen at normal to very easy driving conditions.

Thanks for the info.<BR>I'm a little worried as it did not do it before. <BR>I wondered that it must have been one of my adjustments. I moved the 'cross shaft adjuster' forward about half to three quarter of an inch. This adjustment put it within the specs of the manual.<P>I'd rather have it the way it was with harsher shifting than this condition.<P>Would not continued driving under the groan condition cause damage?

The "chatter" you speak of sounds different than the groan (which is typical of replaced direct-drive clutch). The way I adjusted mine was to loosen both lock nuts so the bracket is free, then put the rod from accelerator link in the center hole. Then press "forward" gently on the piece with the three holes and turn both lock nuts to hold the bracket on the accelerator linkage where it now rests. I put "forward" in quotes because the manual is wrong - it says rearward. After that I adjust the locknuts forward one complete turn at a time and test-drive it until I get the shift pattern that feels the best. <BR>Friend Ron Siegal, who rebuilt my trans recommends always using H or H-left rather than D or H-right. It shifts smoother, eliminates one shift and the attendant wear on the clutch-pack (different than the DD clutch). Been driving this way since '93 rebuild.<p>[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Randy Berger ]