ckowner

1930 DeSoto CK6 Coupe

With the front fenders and splash aprons complete,the chrome and the radiator complete, the engine rebuilt, work could progress on assembly. One of the pictures shows a painted piece of aluminum set up as a hood side panel. This helped in choosing a color. It is from the PPG color chart and is actually called a brown. Very attractive and looks somewhat original

camera_pictures_04282012_497.JPG

DSC00491.JPG

camera_pictures_04282012_496.JPG

camera_pictures_04282012_481.JPG

• Like 2

Amazing quality of work!!  Thanks again for posting the pictures.  I wouldn't worry about saturating the forum... most of us would like to see all 1500 pictures. :)

Edited by Luv2Wrench (see edit history)

The guys doing some of my painting and final body prep were really busy, so it was a challenge to get things done within a budget. Patience was the name of the game, but that was not a problem, since I had developed a lot of that over the years. 

With the color picked, work proceeded. The doors, hood, rumble seat lid were done first. After the painting was done, the parts were stored in my home office so that nothing would be damaged.

iphone pictures aug11,2012 001.JPG

iphone_pictures_aug11,2012_005.JPG

iphone_pictures_aug11,2012_002.JPG

iphone_pictures_aug11,2012_003.JPG

The next step was to get the main body and the rear fenders prepped for paint. I had repaired holes in the firewall. but of course it resulted in some warping. My body man convinced me that I would forever be sorry if that wasn't corrected. When he was done it looked just like new. 

more_finn_autobody_pictures_003.JPG

more finn autobody pictures 001.JPG

more_finn_autobody_pictures_007.JPG

more finn autobody pictures 008.JPG

Special attention was given to body lines, especially where lead work had been done. I have learned to have a lot of respect for good trades people. With all the prepping done, the main body shell and rear fenders were finished off in an epoxy primer. 

more_finn_autobody_pictures_002.JPG

more finn autobody pictures 004.JPG

more_finn_autobody_pictures_005.JPG

more_finn_autobody_pictures_001.JPG

more_finn_autobody_pictures_006.JPG

Standing ovation from here!  I stand in awe of your perseverance and your relentless pursuit of perfection.  Love the color!

Hi mipodesign

Thanks for your offer to draw my car. I have a very talented artistic grand daughter who is 13 years old. She did this drawing and gave it to me for my last birthday. The picture of the drawing does not really do justice to the detail.

IMG_1936.JPG

Edited by ckowner (see edit history)
  • Like 4

The next step in the restoration process after the main body shell and the rear fenders had been prepped, was paint. The underside of the fenders and the underside of the body were sprayed with rock guard and then painted black. One way of achieving this was to stand the body shell on its front on styrofoam to prevent damage.

The next step in the process was painting the main base body color. The paint booth was a large one also used for painting trucks, so extra care had to be taken to control any dust

desoto_paint_001.JPG

desoto paint 003.JPG

desoto paint 004.JPG

desoto paint 005.JPG

desoto paint 006.JPG

The two tone colors (black) created an extra challenge. The complete body was masked with only the raised portions to be painted black exposed. Special attention was given to the masking lines to ensure sharp detail.

DeSoto_Paint_001.JPG

DeSoto_Paint_002.JPG

DeSoto_Paint_004.JPG

DeSoto Paint 005.JPG

DeSoto Paint 008.JPG

• Like 1

One more posting on the paint process, as I am limited to the picture uploads. Once the base colors were applied, things were finished with a clear coat. I realize that this was not the original process, which would have been lacquer, but these cars were built in the depth of the depression, and technology has drastically improved. These cars were built to be affordable transportation, and the automotive industry was in a developing mode. In many ways these restored cars are better than the original build. 

desoto paint 002.JPG

desoto paint 015.JPG

desoto_paint_004.JPG

The work progressing. Mounting the body on the frame. next was the hanging of the doors and installing and adjusting the rumble seat deck lid.desoto paint 004.JPGdesoto_paint_007.JPG

iphone_pictures_002.JPG

I noticed that it has been awhile since any progress pictured were shared. Happy New Year to all!

Assembly progressed somewhat slowly as it remained a spare time hobby. The window trims for the interior were wood grained by a friend and then sprayed with clear coat.

All stainless bolts were used for body reassembly. The running board trim was copied from the original shape and made of anodized aluminum.

iphone_pictures_003.JPG

iphone_pictures_003.JPG

The next project to be worked on was the roof insert. I am not sure what the reason for chicken wire was, other than to save money during the depression. I chose not to be a purist. A roof insert was fabricated using Maple wood and an aluminum boarder was fastened to the maple. I then covered the whole insert with 1/8th hardboard (with holes drilled in it for ventilation), padding, and roofing vinyl. Black marine sealant was placed between the ridge in the roof and the aluminum edge with the vinyl wrapped around it. As the insert was fastened from the inside of the car, the flange made a perfect rain tight seal. 

iphonedec312012_001.JPG

iphonedec312012 002.JPG

iphonedec312012 004.JPG

Here are a couple more pictures of progress. The top has been completed. The manufacturing firewall decal was steel and totally unreadable because of age and rust. With some help from my son and a picture of one that could be could be vaguely read, we produced a new one engraved with a laser engraver on painted aluminium. Just like new! 

DSC00880.JPG

Desoto Tag - white on black to scale.jpg

1930 DeSoto ID TAG.jpg

iphonedec312012 006.JPG

iphonedec312012 011.JPG

• Like 1

It has been some time since progress was shared. After the roof insert was finished, I did some studying how head liner was installed. The fabric was purchased from Decorative Fabrics Direct. It is a real angora wool mohair and a perfect color match to the paint. I laid out the material for the head liner with pins and chalk, and my daughter in law did the sewing for me. The door panels were a challenge I took on myself. I laminated the backing material, the padding, and the mohair with spray adhesive. I figured I could do the sewing myself with a little kick start on the sewing machine. The results were surprising!

DSC01426.JPG

DSC01434.JPG

DSC01441.JPG

DSC01444.JPG

DSC01446.JPG

The next part in the upholstery process was the seats. I had a rumble back spring and the seat spring for the front. Both springs were in very poor condition. After taking a bed mattress apart for the coil springs, as well as two other car seats which were salvaged, we bent new connecting metal strips and proceeded to build new seat springs.  

DSC01518.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

DSC01528.JPG

DSC01536.JPG

• Like 1

One final posting on the upholstery. After sitting on the completed front seat I found it far too soft, so I proceeded to cut high quality foam and fill all the coils with foam. The burlap was then re installed and the seats were taken to an upholstery shop. The rumble seat was done in a beautiful high quality leather that was inherited from my fathers bookbinding hobby. Hope you all enjoy the pictures!

DSC01579.JPG

DSC01575.JPG

DSC01580.JPG

DSC01572.JPG