WTK; Tie Rod / Master spring

ArticiferTom

Wtk if any one has info on tie rod end for my 31 Dodge / Graham PU . Told Dufoc te2 is match was looking for crosses and would like to install ones with spring and disk rather then rubber cap to match existing . Only need left side . Also found left side master leaf spring is broke , over helper is holding together . I found a Chrysler of same physical   size . Plan change out with the broke master , the rest do not match . If anyone has left tie end old style let me know .

The picture on Jolly_John's thread shows a tie rod end that seems to be the right one. The dust cover has a washer on top; this could be a leather dust cover with washer on top and spring inside and might fit the bill?

Hopefully the Chrysler spring eyes are the same ID as yours and your bushes will fit. If you use the same type of low-tech puller as I did (long bolt and tube and washers) to remove and fit the bushes, remember to lubricate the bolt 'else it will get hot and lock up.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

I thought it was rubber ,maybe your right . Will do some more searching . Got mine off tonight . Either previous repairers beat the ball out the bottom when changing wish bone  or from the accident that broke the spring . See attached for type . To repair I would have to unroll bottom rolled over seam lock and install disk back in and stake shut . Do able but not fun . Got all springs nuts, loose today will remove over weekend .

Another problem noted was drag link does not seem proper ,it is rubbing shackle hanger bolt . Suspect it is on backwards, changing may put offset earlier  before bolt .

tie rod.jpg

Edited by ArticiferTom (see edit history)

Yes after studying the link can not be reversed ,ends different . So will get pic of a good one from another owner and see. On the tie rod issue ,after visit to my mechanic buddy we concluded it was beat apart driving the ball and plug partial  out bottom . Was able to set back in with dull chisel around edge and then hit center to flatten and expand just like block soft plug . In worked perfect ,  so back on the truck . Next is leaf spring .

Is there manufacture numbers on the drag link any where ? That may help verify .

Yes ,mine are similar to Chevy type one spring each side.  But on knuckle side, is on outside , steering side on inside . The good news is spring is replaced . I used a master leaf from '29 Chy 62  ,almost identical . Had to reduce Tryon shackle pin .060 " to install in backend after removing bushing . The front bushing was good and in better shape then mine . This spring must had be broke along time . Wear in shackle caps and bolt also in through bolt in spring assembly show . Got new bolts , grade 8 's but flipped caps and will have to look for replacements . A few notes ;  The pin is surfaced hardened ,use carbide . Maybe be easier to loosen all nuts and bolts before lifting  . Remove straps from axle before raised all the way . This will allow jacking just enough to get bolt head out of axle plate . Then remove shackle and front holder bolt with no strain . Do a search on Tryon shackles ,Spinney post one years ago . I had trouble picturing the assembly tightness till read .

Attached pic show donor spring assembly , truck assembly master leaf replacement with pin and half of broke one , and top helpers .

Once again thank you to all .

spring ,leaf.jpg