'29 DA 6 dash pulls

Bob Zetnick

I've got 4 dash pulls on my '29 DA. The cables are original, very rusty and one had broken before I got the car.....I have new cables, but want to keep the original pulls. One was easy in that the cable folded back around a hole in the pull...the other 3 pulls look attached to the cable....welded? Any ideas to replace these cables?...I don't want to start into them w/ a lot of force and destroy the pulls.

Bob,

this is what I did. I had the pulls chromed (probably should have been nickel, but I wanted them to match other fittings that had been chromed), as well as the fittings that they slide into. Beware, as there are two different types, so if you have to use some from another vehicle, the "slot" in the shaft MAY be a different width. I had to get one from another vehicle because the chrome platers wrecked one of mine. 

Anyway, I used new inner and outer cables. For the inner cable, I tinned the end of the cable using a large soldering iron and then inserted the cable in the end of the pull shaft. This may be a tight fit, so don't leave much solder on the cable. I then cut a groove in a piece of wood (You can see the slot in the wood in the bottom right of the second photo), this should allow you to line up the cable and the shaft in a straight line as they are of course different thicknesses. I put some aluminium foil under the shaft to minimise the solder running out, and clamped it in position. I then applied the soldering iron to the CABLE and inserted the solder through the hole in the shaft. This should allow the solder to make a good bond with the cable and form a large blob to fill the hole. You may need to clean it up a bit after it has cooled, I used a hacksaw blade to clean the slot.

As I said, I also replaced the outer as well, this I just screwed into the original housing, but had to spread it slightly with a small screwdriver until it was in place. Hope this all makes sense with the photos. 

Good luck.

John

DSC01565m.jpg

DSC01567m.jpg

DSC01571m.jpg

DSC01575m.jpg

Bob, if you look at Bullfrog's first picture you can see a small hole. I set that area on a small steel pin which was held in a vice, took another small pin and swedged the end of the inner cable so it could not come out. That way the cable wire could rotate if it needed to. That is how mine were when I took them apart. Been that way for several years and they still work fine. I used generic choke cable from a lawnmower shop. Came in 10 feet lengths. 

• Like 1

What nearchoclatetown says is correct, that is how mine were originally. I did not do it that way because the new inner cable that I bought was just too hard to swedge  that way, and I spent a lot of time trying!!. I had no option, as that was all I could get. I suggest that you try your cable before inserting it in the pull shaft, to see if you can swedge it OK, if you can, that would be the way to go. With any luck, what you can get may be soft enough. If all else fails, try my method as a last resort.

John

Edited by Bullfrog_eng
Add info (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies! I have the new cables already. Yes, one of the pulls has the hole...or at least it was visible and easy to replace. The others just seem like the cable is part of the pull, but maybe going about this in reverse and if it's soldered in, I can heat it up somewhat to melt solder and remove cable....the holes may be under all the solder...I'll see what I can do, just didn't want to ruin the pull! Again, thanks!