nick8086

What do car collectors collect besides cars ?.

What do car collectors collect besides cars or save??

I did find a letter from Ragtime Bob also..

IMG.jpg

I collect several things besides old cars. I have a small collection of parts manuals and catalogue's, Pre decimal Australian coins and bank notes. Old 1940's Perth Metro Street Directories up to about 1980.and various items of Garagenalia  Also have a Western Australian Registration papers for a 1936 Chevrolet Sedan issued in 1958   

Period pictures,  1930-1970 of any of the big CCCA classics but especially Mercedes Benz. 

18th and early 19th century New England flintlock rifles, militia muskets and officers' swords (mostly English) from the same period. 18th and early 19th-century military history, 19th-century books on machine tools and engineering, early automobile books and anything on the Imperial Russian Army and Navy.

Lots of junk according to my wife:)

A few Signs, old toys, trains, lots of books and literature and way too many parts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Old signs, gas pumps, General Store stuff, primitive farm tools, 1:18 models of cars we've owned and TOOLS..

• Like 2

I forget is it two or three of the same item that are the base of  a collection? If so the spark plugs and St Christopher medals with cars on them, oil cans, odd tools, and anything I just like the looks of. File cabinets of pre 1950 racing and speed equipment are also part of my collection. Bob

Correct Bob, three of anything is a collection.  Two is just a pair. 

I collect collections - Spark Plugs, Brass lamps and accessories, early accessory catalogs, sheet music, ceramics, signs, early automobilia of all kinds, prints, posters, photos, pins, buttons, fobs, badges, and of course display cases to put it all into.  Oh, that's another of my "Rules of collecting"  You have to display your stuff, otherwise your are just a hoarder.  I've tried to recreate a circa 1915-20is auto parts store in my barn.  It makes a neat place to display things.

Terry

IMG_0663.JPG

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Correct Bob, three of anything is a collection.  Two is just a pair. 

I collect collections - Spark Plugs, Brass lamps and accessories, early accessory catalogs, sheet music, ceramics, signs, early automobilia of all kinds, prints, posters, photos, pins, buttons, fobs, badges, and of course display cases to put it all into.  Oh, that's another of my "Rules of collecting"  You have to display your stuff, otherwise your are just a hoarder.  I've tried to recreate a circa 1915-20is auto parts store in my barn.  It makes a neat place to display things.

Terry

IMG_0663.JPG

All you are missing is a potbellied stove with a rail to put your feet up on. Very nice.

• Like 4

License plates.

I have a hundred or so, probably not that valuable.

But since being associated with a dealer of collectable cars lately I have several "special interest" and 'Vintage" type plates. They are my favorites.

• Like 1

Call me a hoarder since most of my stuff is piled upon itself....

Picture 5029.jpg

Picture 5030.jpg

Picture 5031.jpg

• Like 4

Keiser31,

That's obviously not a Bat"man" T-shirt, but I like it.  Do you have a name for it?  It looks like you collect  a lot of different types of stuff.

Great collection.

Cheers,

Grog

40 minutes ago, capngrog said:

Keiser31,

That's obviously not a Bat"man" T-shirt, but I like it.  Do you have a name for it?  It looks like you collect  a lot of different types of stuff.

Great collection.

Cheers,

Grog

Yes, I collect a LOT of different things. I call it my "collection of collections". I wish I had enough wall space to actually display it all so that it could be viewed. I only have two 1931 Dodges, so I guess those are a "pair".

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Bhigdog said:

Anvils................Bob

I want an anvil. Wow....I just noticed I have 24,000 posts. I hope I have not bored too many of you.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Can't. I only have nine. I don't know how anyone can have a shop or make stuff without a good anvil...................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Can't. I only have nine. I don't know how anyone can have a shop or make stuff without a good anvil...................Bob

I only have one that broke my scales so not sure of the weight. It just collects dust as I hammer on a 6'X6'1" welding table and saves the old guy from bending over. So I guess mine is not a collection either but I could include it in my collection of tools I do not use.

Lots of cool junk. My latest purchase, after first seeing it thirty years ago, the lap robe FDR used to cover his legs and hide his braces on state events. Used in both Packards and Pierce Arrows, it is quite a interesting item. The photo was from a film clip on the Antiques Roadshow.

image.png

• Like 4

We had a huge "collection" of several things before we decided to move to Hawaii. We had built a fairly large home with multiple outbuildings in Alabama on several acres of land, as we thought we would live there the rest of our lives. Thankfully, most things were good enough to be sold to help pay for the move.  I  kept some of the more precious model cars and planes, books and magazines, two older motorcycles, one of the old cars, important family ancestor stuff, and only hand tools. Of course, if any of you are around my age and mindset, you know what that means..... a chance to get more stuff, ha !   We love nearly everything we have and have had, but we are actually trying hard to control our "needs" since the house here is small, and things collectible on the mainland are not so desirable over here if you have to have aDSCN6608.JPG "sell" time.  Here is most of the few models and toys we kept.  Oh, couldn't bear to sell too many of our 33 1/3rd record albums either, so have way too many of them (and two record players, ha !).

• Like 1

I started collecting Shot Glasses. as they were something small and inexpensive. started collecting them from places we visited on trips. have too many to count anymore, been collecting for over 20 years now. i only collect them from places i have been personally. 

I collect anything for the 1990 454SS pickup - unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) there isn't much out there for the 1990 model.

I've got a Pitbull - so anything with a Pittie on it is for me :)

I used to collect Eeyore stuff, but am slowly selling those items off.

I also love butterflies and won't turn down anything with a butterfly on it.

I have a coin collection - although they are just in a box and I don't buy coins (usually). i get them from work or the store so it's rare I get a valuable one, but i do get some interesting ones sometimes.

I could go on and on lol

My husband has a great model car collection.  He's also starting to build his hand tool collection now that we have some room.

We also have an extensive Christmas light display, so I try and pick things up at yard sales, etc.  (if anyone going to Hershey has some deer they don't want anymore, feel free to bring them to add to our display ;) 

• Like 1