1929 Auburn 8-90 Speedster Info??

Guest Auburnspeedster2016

Guest Auburnspeedster2016

Looking for any info or history on this exact car 1929 Auburn 8-90 Speedster. This car did just sell at the 2016 Auburn auction. Thanks any help is apperciated. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi- welcome to the forum, and what a beautiful car!  Did you check with the ACD Club to see if there was a record of the car, and whether it's been Certified by the club?  There's a fairly good forum on that club's website, and that's a good place to ask questions too.....

I just asked this exact question on this same car on the ACD website. You have good taste in cars. i was told by another member that it sold for 187,000 hammer. I was also told it was not certified. I agree with Alsancle. You need to be very careful with speedsters. I am looking for a 1928 / 1929 to add to my garage. My 1932 8100A Boattail is lonely and wants a friend. :}

Here's the link to the description of the car, and the Auction America results do indeed indicate a selling price of $187K:

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?Order=price&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=&SaleCode=AF16&ID=r0076

These are beautiful cars.  The veiled discussion here is about replicas, as there were less than 100 1928-29 speedsters built from the factory, and they are relatively easy to duplicate.  Many an Auburn sedan has been taken apart to be used as a speedster base.  Replica bodies in both metal and fiberglass have been produced.  This is a little like the last year Edsel convertibles, 1960, which shared a body with the Ford Sunliner ....there were 78 Edsel convertibles produced by the factory that year, if my memory serves me correctly, and I believe there are over 90 that now exist!  All it takes is a donor closed car, just as it does for an Auburn speedster.

The only red flag I see is that, in the auction listing, they never once state "original body".  It does state it was judged at the ACD meet, but the ACD club is fairly tolerant of "replicated" vehicles, although getting one Certified through that club might be tough.

Original body or not, that's a gorgeous car, and would be such great fun to own and drive, if you bought it, congratulations!

The wording of the ad as well as the venue make one think that it is a replica body. Usually history, location, early photos, ect

are in the auction description. There is nothing in the listing to establish it as one of the known correct original speedsters. I don't follow the prices on the early speedsters, so I am not sure if the number is in the high side. Several items to my eye look off, but it's been 30 years since my neighbor had one aNd I got to play with it. 

• 2 weeks later...