1925 Buick Master

I have several needs to help get this basket case moving along, hope there are some here that can help point me in the right direction. 1) Ball studs are toast, does anyone know where to get replacements? Or do I need to make a new tie rod and use modern tie Rod ends.

2) Wheel bearing seals. I see I can purchase the felt but how do I get the metal retainer out without chewing it up. It appears to be staked in place.

3) Missing a gear shift knob, although I do have the insert that threads on to the shifter. Anyone?

4) Could use a couple of used 6 X 22 tires to use as spares, also could be interested in rims and wheels if available.

5) A split rim tool could be helpful as I have 4 new tires arriving next week.

Thanks for any and all comments.

Tom

1) Ball studs are toast, does anyone know where to get replacements? Or do I need to make a new tie rod and use modern tie Rod ends.

Check the Model A ford & Hot Rod web sites for replacements.

2) Wheel bearing seals. I see I can purchase the felt but how do I get the metal retainer out without chewing it up. It appears to be staked in place.

Use brake cleaner & penetrating oil (50/50 mix of ATF & acitone) to loosen before carefully prying it out.  You can reshape it before re-installation.

3) Missing a gear shift knob, although I do have the insert that threads on to the shifter. Anyone?

Dean Tryon has new shifter knobs made with the reverse shift pattern.  He is in the BCA roster.

4) Could use a couple of used 6 X 22 tires to use as spares, also could be interested in rims and wheels if available.

Used wheels & rims & tires are best found on ebay or other internet sites like this one.

5) A split rim tool could be helpful as I have 4 new tires arriving next week.

Again, try ebay or other auction sites.

Good luck,

Tom,

Welcome to the Forum.  Please post a picture of the masterpiece that you are starting with.  You can see mine in the little picture on the left.  Jed Clampit would be proud. 

First, you will need a 1925 "Master" parts book.  Best if you can find an original.  Second you need a "Buick Master Parts List Book - 1916-1932".  These are ~$75.  Here's why.  Ball studs page 248, 1924 6 cyl, 1925-26-27-28-29 Master, 1930ser 50-60,1931-32 ser 80-90.

Now you have a wide range to look at.  I have seen these NOS on Ebay.  There are several postings on the forum for parts.  I have bought ball studs used that look new.  Do a search on the forum.  Call on posts that are several years old.  A lot of stuff gets posted once and people still have this stuff laying around.  There are several postings in the buy and sell section for parts.  Check "The filling station" chevy parts.  They may need dimensions to compare with what is in stock.

2) I assume you are talking about the front wheel felt seal retainer.  The retainer is likely flush with the end of the hub.  Try hammering(tapping) the retainer in further (compressing the felt) so that you have enough room to use a small die grinder to clean up the "stake" and then pull the metal retainer out using a slide hammer or oil seal puller.  Have you tried replacing the felt seal with the retainer in place?  Sorry that I have not done this job yet, but I did pull off my front wheel to see what you are up against. 

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the replies, and I have taken care of all of these except a couple of half way decent spare tires and the felt retainer. Here are some pics. As you can see someone decided to stake the felt retainer in three places around the edge. Any good ideas on how to now get this out besides grinding the heck out of it and then requiring new retainers? Also  a couple of pics to show what it looked like when purchased in May and progress to date. Just starting at the front and working my way back. This is not going to be an accurate restoration so no nickle plate on the steering column and else where. Plan A is to create a boat tail speedster body, but if that appears to be too ambitious plan B will be a speedster.

Tom, Bloomington Illinois

Buick 1.jpg

Felt retainer 1.JPG

Sep 17, 2016.JPG