Vintage steel wheel

Guest Countrykid85

Guest Countrykid85

I have a vintage 14"steel wheel rim that has heart cutouts all the way around. It is a 6 lug hole pattern. I've searched for a similar wheel on ebay, Wikipedia and the internet to find history, possible value and found nothing.  Would like someone to help me identify what car or truck it was used on. Thanks 

post_image1.png

Guest Countrykid85

It's definitely not an aftermarket wheel it was rusty stored away in a garage but painted to try and sell. Thanks for everyone's suggestions /leads. 

Looks like a trailer wheel due to large "pilot" (hub) hole.  If the pilot hole measures 4.25 inches it will fit Dexter 5,000 lb axles. What we need is the hole spacing, from the center of one of the six holes to the center of another hole 180 degrees out.  If that distance is 5.5 inches, the wheel would be described as a 6 on 5.5.  14" wheels were often used on small travel trailers.  Agree that it's aftermarket.  Might fit some other applications but watch the pilot hole size.

• Like 1

Yes they do keiser. The responses here for aftermarket trailer wheels are absolutely correct. Big Tex Trailers is just up the highway from me and they use wheels similar to this on all their builds.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Dexter "torflex" axles come with 5 lug wheels  on the the 3500 lb axle and 6 lug on the 5200 lb axle.

I'll never tow a spring trailer again.  Once you try the torque flex, you will feel the same.

Paul, I'll soon have six 15" trailer wheels 6 [lug] on 5.5 with 4.25 pilot holes available.  I'm upgrading to 16" wheels on my new-to-me world's ugliest and maybe tallest (13'3" total height) enclosed trailer.  PM me if you're interested.  Five of the wheels still have ST tires on them.  They don't have the cute heart-shaped openings but have the dozen or so circles often seen on trailer wheels.

• 2 years later...

Countrykid85......these were made by the Hooker Company.....the same company that makes headers. To my knowledge....they were made from about 1975 to 1983 aprx. They were neat, and different, but I never saw them on any cars or trucks that I can remember ? (Im 56 now) However.....bcos of their "not so strong" following, they are extremely rare, and someone one out there may be craving your wheel. That is if you still have it....as I noticed your post was 2 or 3 years old now.

Those white painted steel wheels were common aftermarket wheels back in the 70's . Called "Mojock" wheels. I had a set on my 72 AMX because they were fairly light for a non-alloy wheel when using very wide tires. Lots of  guys had them on their vans that they had converted into "rolling bed rooms" that were often called by a more vulgar four letter name that rimed with and was followed by, "truck".

First I've ever seen a heart cutout one. I should think they would have sold better for those bed room vans. 

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PFitz said:

Those white painted steel wheels were common aftermarket wheels back in the 70's . Called "Mojock" wheels. I had a set on my 72 AMX because they were fairly light for a non-alloy wheel when using very wide tires. Lots of  guys had them on their vans that they had converted into "rolling bed rooms" that were often called by a more vulgar four letter name that rimed with and was followed by, "truck".

First I've ever seen a heart cutout one. I should think they would have sold better for those bed room vans. 

Paul

Also called, "Jackman" wheels in southern California.

On 9/2/2016 at 6:05 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

Dexter "torflex" axles come with 5 lug wheels  on the the 3500 lb axle and 6 lug on the 5200 lb axle.

I'll never tow a spring trailer again.  Once you try the torque flex, you will feel the same.

Wait till they get 15 or 20 years old and you have to replace them. Airstream trailers use this type of axle and it's one of the big headaches of restoring an old one. Unfortunately most people don't know this and  a lot of old Airstreams get beaten to death by being towed around on flattened out axles with no suspension, and bad hitch setups with too stiff of spring bars.

4 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Wait till they get 15 or 20 years old and you have to replace them. Airstream trailers use this type of axle and it's one of the big headaches of restoring an old one. Unfortunately most people don't know this and  a lot of old Airstreams get beaten to death by being towed around on flattened out axles with no suspension, and bad hitch setups with too stiff of spring bars.

Rusty,

That may be true on travel trailers that are overloaded  their whole life, but my 15 year old open car

trailer has been unloaded for most of it's 15 years and the enclosed trailer was sold before age 15 to

a guy who was going to make a mobile  kitchen out of it.   The open trailer had 2 3500 lb axles     

and the enclosed had 2 5500 lb. axles.   After 30 years in Class A RV's I'm convinced most RVer's are 

overloaded with "What if we need this" junk, some car guys do that too with car trailers.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:05 PM, Grimy said:

Paul, I'll soon have six 15" trailer wheels 6 [lug] on 5.5 with 4.25 pilot holes available.  I'm upgrading to 16" wheels on my new-to-me world's ugliest and maybe tallest (13'3" total height) enclosed trailer.  PM me if you're interested.  Five of the wheels still have ST tires on them.  They don't have the cute heart-shaped openings but have the dozen or so circles often seen on trailer wheels.

Grimy,wow  13.3--you building a stacker ??   Tom

13CADDY said (I can't get the new software upgrade to quote):  "Grimy,wow  13.3--you building a stacker ??   Tom"

If I collected postwar sports cars instead of the call stuff, I suppose it could be a stacker:  3 ea 5200-lb axles (sticker says they're 3500, but also says the TARE is 3,000 lbs!).  Bought it at an auction in Bakersfield CA to haui the then-newly-acquired 1918 Pierce 48-B-5 which stands 7'8" with top up (and shouldn't be put down, especially for towing).  Need a wingwalker to watch me going into some fuel stations....see photo of the rig.  Truck is a 1999 Ford F350 DRW.

I could sell cookies out the side windows when I get too old to actually tow this thing....

20170911_130423.jpg