T-U Transmision Fluid

Guest 1956Packard

Guest 1956Packard

I know this has been done to death on other forums, but I can't seem to find it now that I need it.<P>What is the consensus with respect to the type of fluid best used in the '55 - '56 twin-ultramatics? <BR>Also, does anyone have an appropriate replacement or interchange for the filter for it?<P>Thanks

Guest Randy Berger

I changed fluid this Spring and refilled with Dexron/Mercron III. It has worked fine all summer. I have changed fluid every three years - cheap insurance. Bear in mind that my tranny was rebuilt in 92 by someone who knew what they were doing. He replaced any bushings that were not up to spec. Bushings, as you probably know, are very critical to operation of the ULTRA. I cleaned the stock filter thoroughly with gasoline and then rinsed it several times with new tranny fluid. I almost forgot - my TU is late 1956 production as referenced by Service Counselors, so it has any late mods they made for better performance.

i use the Dexron III in my 56 TU. Seems to work fine for 4 yrs and 9k miles. As for the filter, i've been told, that it can be disassembled by un-crimping it, cleaned and re-assembled. I have not tried it yet.

The Dexron III is what I have used since 1994 in the '53 Ultramatic and the Patrician since I got it about 4 years ago and the Clipper Super as well. I have never attempted to change out any tranny filter on these cars. On the '53, it was entirely drained in 1995 when I had all the accessible seals replaced.