FS--unknown chain drive wooden wheels with sprockets

these were in storage for generations. I have no clue what they were off of,an old timer told me long ago possibly rockaway rambler?  the wooden spokes are solid with matching sprockets. the tires read "Justice" which are in rough cond as seen. $400  located bangor pa 18013

wooden wheels.jpg

Edited by harvest (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not from any Metz I am familiar with.There may have been an odd model from about when Charles Metz took over the Orient. Most of the plan cars, other two cylinder, and early model 22 had multiple disc brakes (like an old New Departure Bicycle brake) inside the hubs, which held the sprockets about eight inches inboard of the wheel. The brakes changed to a standard shoe type brake (very similar to a small drum model T parking brake) for most of the model 22, with the sprockets still about eight inches inboard of the wheel. The model 25 (1915 for a few years) changed to a single chain drive, and was a totally different setup.

Fourteen spoke wheels. Very unusual. But I don't know what they are from either. The '10 Fuller I used to have had fourteen spoke wheels. However it was a standard rear end (Mott). I got to looking for that a lot and didn't see many. One possibility I can think of could be an early Brush? I know that the early semi-high wheel Brush had fourteen spokes. It is also possible that the wheels could have been modified by a local wheelwright for the pneumatic tires. I have run into that before.

• 1 month later...

Most wood spoke wheels I have seen have a bolt pattern that is a symmetrical division of the number of spokes, A 12 spoke could have 6 bolts (typically at joint between every second spoke), or 8 bolts ( bolts alternate in center of a spoke and then at next intersection. Common location was always at center of a spoke or at intersection of 2 spokes. These wheels appear to have 5 bolts for 14 spokes, making for a completely random pattern of bolt holes, and likely weak spots. But who knows, could be a retrofit? . . 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...