Year/Make/Model for this hood ornament?

Guest GarnetArmy79

Guest GarnetArmy79

Hello everyone!  I'm a newb and am looking for some help from those with a lot more knowledge about vintage/classic cars than me.  My brother acquired the hood ornament in the pictures in this post.  He was told by someone that they believed it was very rare, but we has no idea what it is and how rare it actually is.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

20160828_174848.jpg

20160828_174857.jpg

20160828_174907.jpg

20160828_174925.jpg

Guest GarnetArmy79

Thank you for the reply.  I was thinking it was possibly from a mid to late 40's model Oldsmobile, but I cannot find anything online with the red plexiglass section of the wings.  The only markings or numbers are located on the underside inside the tail section.  SLC MADE USA 554757.  

Guest GarnetArmy79

Thanks MCHinson.  That's what I have found as well.  It's the dark red lucite on the back part of the wings that I cannot find online anywhere.  The google search brings up an Ebay listing for a hood ornament that looks identical, but has a blue lucite wings instead of dark red.  Would the part number have been the same for all of the different color variations?  Is that typical?

Looking at Google images of cars, it appears that a red or nearly red color is probably the original one, but I don't know anything about Oldsmobiles of the 40s. Perhaps someone who knows more about it will chime in. 

Guest GarnetArmy79

Thanks to everyone who has replied and thank you for the info and picture, Dave Mellor NJ.  Any idea what this one might be worth and how rare it is?

9 hours ago, misterc9 said:

The tongue probably is a separate piece that unbolts on the 48. The 49 has different wings.

The '48 is all one piece, not two. The tongue is part of the wings. The '49 shown in the chart is all chrome, but the same wing configuration. The only difference is the rear half is red.

Guest Grumpy's Auto Shop

AFAIK it is for a '48 Olds 98.  The one pictured above with the 'tongue' is for a 78 of the same year.  70-Series cars were B-Bodied while 90-Series were C-Bodied.

But I could be wrong.

• 2 years later...

I have a one family owned before me 1947 Oldsmobile model #76. It has a Green plastic rear section.

I made a high beam indicator out of it. I repainted it the original color it was sold new with.

The same model and color in on the front cover of the 1947 Oldsmobile new car show room brochure.

20181019_150801.jpg

• Like 1