New to List

Hello to the List:<P>Please allow me to introduce myself.<P>My name is Paul Edwards, residing in New Jersey, USA. By happy chance, I stumbled across a well running, original & unrestored 1939 Packard Super Eight Touring Sedan which I purchased in May, 2001. (81K miles) Little did I realize how fine a car this was when I bought it. <P>It, however, has been a learning experience, as I bought the car because I liked its looks.<P>It is a real pleasure to drive, and people are truly amazed when I tell them it is unrestored.<P>The only work I have had done is brake reline, new shifter forks, tune up, electric fuel pump and drive line oil seals.<P>The car needs a wiring harness, which I am deferring until winter.<P>I would welcome any advice, suggestions, comments etc., as I am a novice when it comes to the care and feeding of a classic car. I would like to keep as close to original and unrestored as possible.<P>I am truly lucky to have this beautiful automobile.<P>Rgds, <P>Paul Edwards<BR>Belvidere, NJ

Welcome to the chat room, and congradulations on your ownership of one of the best classic cars ever. You probably have changed transmission fluid if you have changed the forks, and I would recomend a fluid change for the rear end and pack the wheel bearings. Always remember that these cars do not stop as fast as modern cars.

Guest Randy Berger

Welcome to the Packard owners club - a large and happy (mostofthetime) fraternity. Unrestored vehicles are gaining more respect from all areas of car collecting and you are right to want to keep it as original as possible. There are two Packard clubs, Packard Automobile Classics and Packards International. If you can, join both of them - each group brings something special to the table. Buy a battery disconnect switch so you can disable the electrical system with a flick of the wrist. Even after you put new wiring in, it will give you peace of mind. Don't be afraid to ask questions - most of us like to demonstrate our knowledge and it will keep you from making the same mistakes we did. Buy a parts manual and a shop manual for your vehicle. It helps with questions when everyone can get on the same page and as the saying goes "Ask the man who owns one".<p>[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: Randy Berger ]

Good day gentlemen,<P>Thank you for the speedy replies and the encouragement.<P>The car was indeed purchased from Pipe Creek Trading, Taneytown, Maryland.<P>I have been able to trace the car's history only as far back as March 31, 1979. At 67,454 miles it was serviced in Cannon Falls Minnesota at Remme's Skelly Service.<P>By August 1984, the vehicle had made its way to White Post Virginia where it was sold to Robert H. Burchill & Bonnie J. Bottomley (White Post Restorations, I wonder?) <P>In February 1987, the car was again sold to one Dianna D. Pancoast of Pennsylvania.<P>Interestingly, by now the car had regressed to 64,378 miles per the title.<P>By the time it made its way to Pipe Creek in 2000, it had reached 81,000 miles.<P>Please accept my thanks for the suggestions and good advice. Some I had thought of, some not, and this is a learning process.<P>As far as stopping goes, 4,060 lbs has a lot of inertia.<P>Rgds,<P>Paul Edwards<BR>Belvidere, NJ<P>rmsscotia@eclipse.net

Paul, welcome to the chat and happy motoring with your 39. There are a lot of people here that have a lot of knowledge that are more then willing to help you out. I've been coming to the Collectable Auto Discussion Forum in the AACA room, before the Packard room was opened, for a wile. I have to say, in all the chat room, they are some of the nicest bunch of people, and always willing to help.