1950s Packard Show cars

WCraigH

On a google search, I found a Polish website that had some JPGs of a few of the 1950s Packard show cars that I had knew about, but had never seen a picture of. I'll post URLs to them here in responses to this thread for everyone's viewing pleasure.

• 2 weeks later...

Graig: I am very advid model collector. I am sure the modles you talk about are very nice. Anybody who would pay that kind of money for a model is out of touch.

Packard53: Hey, I didn't say I was going to order one. Too rich for me right now too. The most expensive 1:43 I bought was from Franklin or Danbury and was about $60. The most expensive 1:24 was about $110. I just thought it was cool that those 50s Packard show cars were ACTUALLY being tooled. The companies must be running out of 32 Ford & 55 Chevy varients to copy.

Guest Randy Berger

My favorite scale is 1/27th, which is what old IVES, Lionel, AF, Dorfan WIDE (2 1/8th) inch track gauge translates closest to. Anson (which makes a good 1:18 1934 Packard) makes 3 old cars in 1:27 - a 1934 Packard, 31 Peerless and a 1932 Cadillac. They have some more modern models in that scale also, but not in my time-line. Wide-gauge trains were made from 1906-1939 and so limits my choices. 1:43 is OK for Lionel "O" gauge and 1:32 is not too bad for Wide gauge. Sorry, get carried away talking about trains or Packards.

The current issue of SPECIAL INTEREST AUTOS (#185, Oct 2001) has a review of 3 (count 'em 3!) new 1:43 metal die-cast models of 1950s Packard showcars! Now available are the Balboa X, Request and Predictor. They are pricey ($180-210 per), but apparently the quality is superb. Personally, 1:43 is not my favorite scale (I prefer 1:24), but... Anyway, they can be ordered from Dominion Models (540) 375-3750.