Sign in to follow this  
rageracing

1934 PE clutch release grease cup

Getting ready to install my trans back and the car never had the grease cup and tube for the throwout bearing.  Any idea where to get one at and how it was run.  Finally making some progress.

20160822_214952.jpg

20160804_205419.jpg

• Like 1

Are you sure it had one? I know my 33 PD doesn't and it makes it a real pain to do the periodic greasing as, at least on my car, you need to drop the bolt on frame cross member before the flywheel bottom cover can be removed.

I guess I should check my '34 service manual and parts book to see if it is different in this respect from my '33.

On some of the cars, and I'm don't know when they started, there was a flex hose that extended from the throwout bearing housing to the outside right of the bell housing with a grease cap on the end. 

Look at Taylormade's thread about restoring his 1932 Dodge Brothers. There are photos of a grease tube and fitting.

1 hour ago, rageracing said:

Anybody have a least a picture off how it was ran

Sorry, no pictures that seem relevant in my copies of the 1934 parts boot nor factory service manual. But it does mention that the grease cup was only on the PE. The PF is apparently like my PD in that you have to remove the clutch pan.

49 minutes ago, rageracing said:

I did install a modern sealed bearing, do I need to even worry about greasing it?

With a sealed bearing you should be good for your lifetime without worrying about greasing it. In that case the grease cup would be an appearance item only for judging and I strongly suspect that no AACA nor Plymouth Owners Club judge would notice it missing.

Would you worry about the bearing housing sliding on the collar?  Maybe I will just polish it up good.  Someone did mention to me before that after 1936 they dropped the grease fittings because of people over greasing.