1922 Marmon help

Guest MichelleRand

Guest MichelleRand

Ok so we have really gotten into pre war cars. I wanted a Model A, and now, in short order we have two 1935 MGs and, the subject of this post, a 1922 Marmon 34B Touring car. I barely know how to manage the levers and buttons and whatnot but what an adventure. 

Marmon is still at the tent in Monterey, and I need to find a mechanic to check her out before I take her home. She has a coolant leak for one thing, and I want the brakes scrutinized. I may also want seat belts, but that's a 'maybe', and a new battery, and just some general help with her. I don't care where the shop is located, but the car will eventually live on Long Island, so PA or CT or NJ, all are possibilities. Anyone got any recommendations for a shop? Our regular fleet is 60s sports cars, and I hesitate to use those mechanics. Also, doing it myself is out of the question. I run a business and travel, so that just isn't going to happen. Thanks!

Guest MichelleRand

Thanks to everyone with helpful hints. I really appreciate it. I managed to find the original restorer of the car (Robinson Restorations), and in fact, the car itself was part of their family for decades. I am betting they know a thing or two about Marmon! Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Member Robert Dluhy of Ri has a similar car, and just manufactured new water pumps, as the originals rot away to nothing. He has other spare parts as well as an entire chassis with motor. If interest in contact info, PM me and I will send you his number. Great car, good luck. Ed

WOW !!  WOW , WOW , WOW !!!!  Michelle , now that I see your Marmon , my aging , failing brain is producing a very intriguing picture. From the fact that your family fleet has a concentration of '60s sports cars , (any strong , over steering Italian exotics ?) , and the concerns you have stated , it dawns on me that you actually intend to DRIVE this thing ! I have a feeling you might want to put a few miles on it , and experience the joys and skills of Gatsby era motoring. Good on you ! But be VERY careful. People always ask me how fast my "Roaring '20s" Cadillacs can go. I always tell them "about twice as fast as any sane person ought to drive them". And this Marmon is capable of more kinetic energy than its brakes and handling should deal with. No 9/10ths driving with this one ! There are times and places for speed , and believe me , I have done it. A couple fast old cars pictured below are not just trailer queen show cars , or museum pieces. You know very well that Bruce will occasionally take to the track in Number 21 (this car won Le Mans in 1952 -also in the background you see a Testa Rossa , 1927 S Mercedes , and an OSCA). While our local Mercedes Benz Club enjoyed the hospitality of Vintage Racing Motors , Redmond , WA , this 1926 Speed Six Bentley pulled up. The broken left headlight , and duct tape testify to a deer impact at relatively low speed. Owner states that at 90mph , he is turning about 1800 RPM. I have some potentially valuable technical info for you about which I am posting on another subforum here. Let me go back and forth a bit , and come back later and tie it together.  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Michelle , I have posted much relevant info regarding a certain aspect of your aspirations below. Please click on "Dodge & Dodge Brothers" under CHRYSLER PRODUCTS. Go to "Maiden Voyage Today!" When you get time , pay particular attention to postings by cahartley and myself. There is something of value to you and your mechanic if your gorgeous "Queen" is to come off her throne for real exercise from time to time. A simple mod that can easily be put back for show. Things I do. Below , a totally original , unrestored (the wheels were made for many thousands of miles of driving to preserve the originals , which can be easily put back on) , 1927 Cadillac. I LOVE long distance lone wolf cruising as it was done in its time. You are new here , most everyone else might be getting bored with my escapades. I have been criticized for taking such a rare museum piece out into the wilds. On the other hand , most forum friends and the civilians I meet out on the road love it too.  Very best of luck with all of your adventures , on and off the road !    

Good Night , more later.   -  Carl 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Guest MichelleRand

Carl, and everyone - thank you so much for the wonderful information and replies, though I must say some of you guys just don't own enough cars ha ha. 

Yes, Marmon is arriving today, and we are keen to get to work. I may have mentioned we found an owner chain and the person who will be working on the car restored it some time ago, and is the grandson of the man who bought the car in 1955. So she will be in good hands. 

The intent is indeed to drive the car, as all ours get driven. I am just back from Goodwood, and it is inspiring to see what gets driven there! ... Even in the rain. Thanks again --