1934 Dodge KC identification

vicpanza

Hi folks:

I found what the seller believes is a 1934 Dodge pickup in the MN area. In speaking with him, he gave me an engine serial number that made little sense (DR-40I42), and I have not yet received the VIN number. In looking over various resources, appears that if the engine is original, it should have a T5 code. Also, have some general info regarding VIN numbers.

Does anyone on the forum have experience with this year, and can you give me some direction on VIN and engine serial numbers. I am obsess with original vehicles, and if I'm going to make this type of commitment and investment (who am I kidding calling it an investment), I just want to make sure I am starting with an original truck.

Also, if there is anyone in MN who might be willing to have a look at this for me, it would be a huge help. I am in Pittsburgh, and would really like to get an experienced opinion as to eyes on condition, etc.

Thanks

Vic Panza

Thanks for the feedback. I just received this from the seller:

VIN - 8025488

Eng. DR-40-I-42

VIN number looks like a 1935, not a 1934. And appears to have a Dodge car motor.

I am curious as to perspective on this motor. How critical is it for most of you that these vehicles have their original motors. Am I making too much of this?

I have added some pictures of the truck and will appreciate any feedback from the group

01212_8PDOwZe2sz8_1200x900.jpg

01111_fLX3BrTpXqJ_1200x900.jpg

00u0u_bh2ZF0kDlPE_1200x900.jpg

00I0I_9GotKjaKQcE_1200x900.jpg

00O0O_5xnSA1cDJ6M_1200x900.jpg

00r0r_g6xrL4dYoWj_1200x900.jpg

00T0T_2ecIqYq2DT2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2

Guest 1935 Dodge Van

OK here goes from what I've learned over the years of owning and restoring a 1935 KCL: The truck you are thinking of buying does not have an original box on it from what I can tell. The headlights are off something else. The dash instruments are from the 1933 Dodge car and indicates this truck is an early production. Later 1934 KC/L trucks would have a dash with large round holes for the instruments which were shared with the Airflow series of trucks. It should indeed have a T5 coded engine. A letter and $25 to the Chrysler Archives would get you the build ticket and it would give you a wealth of info including the original code for the engine (which could have been T12 but is unlikely.) The front fenders of ALL 1933,'34 and '35 1/2 ton trucks use the front fenders from the 1933 car and are somewhat easy to acquire. The rear fenders are UNIQUE to the 3 years of trucks and are impossible to find. You would have to repair what you get. The front bumpers are repro'd. The headlight stantions appear to be correct. The crankhole cover and the Ram rad cap are available. The hubcaps are most likely the "flat" 1933 car style and are out there. The windshield frame and the running boards are repro'd as well as the rubber for the boards. Anything else please ask I might be able to put you in the right direction. You're looking at $20K to restore it,YOUR labor being a large part of it.      

The truck was made in Detroit in late Jan or early Feb of 34. Vic has a copy of the build sheet stating it was made Feb with the T5. We have the rear fenders in 18 gauge steel with many other parts that we have are available. Hubcaps, crank cover, ramshorn, int kit etc. Here is the truck in the Chrysler Museum that we sold and restored in 98-99.

1934 Dodge KC DCV (1).jpg

1934 Dodge KC DCV (3).jpg

1934 Dodge KC DCV (5).jpg

Article in Paper (1).jpg

Article in Paper (2).jpg

Article in Paper (7).jpg

13 minutes ago, 1935 Dodge Van said:

OK here goes from what I've learned over the years of owning and restoring a 1935 KCL: The truck you are thinking of buying does not have an original box on it from what I can tell. The headlights are off something else. The dash instruments are from the 1933 Dodge car and indicates this truck is an early production. Later 1934 KC/L trucks would have a dash with large round holes for the instruments which were shared with the Airflow series of trucks. It should indeed have a T5 coded engine. A letter and $25 to the Chrysler Archives would get you the build ticket and it would give you a wealth of info including the original code for the engine (which could have been T12 but is unlikely.) The front fenders of ALL 1933,'34 and '35 1/2 ton trucks use the front fenders from the 1933 car and are somewhat easy to acquire. The rear fenders are UNIQUE to the 3 years of trucks and are impossible to find. You would have to repair what you get. The front bumpers are repro'd. The headlight stantions appear to be correct. The crankhole cover and the Ram rad cap are available. The hubcaps are most likely the "flat" 1933 car style and are out there. The windshield frame and the running boards are repro'd as well as the rubber for the boards. Anything else please ask I might be able to put you in the right direction. You're looking at $20K to restore it,YOUR labor being a large part of it.      

Welcome to the site. Show us your truck. We love pictures. 

Thanks

Dave

Really, thanks again for all this info.  Lots of great pictures and videos. Two questions: are the wire wheels correct for this year, and what is it about the box that makes you believe it's not correct. I see the headlight issue. Really appreciate everyone's feedback and all the details you've picked out. 

Seller did have a build card and original engine code is T5-3193. Build date is Feb 5, 1934. So how difficult to find a T5 coded engine. Other then the serial number, this engine would be identical to the truck model? 

Not the horns on this, assume they are correct?

On 8/23/2016 at 3:33 AM, vicpanza said:

Noticed that the top cover on the dash is missing. Did this have a crank out windshield similar to my 1937? Seems like the cover will be another difficult piece to find?? 

1933 to the 1st series 35 has the push out windshields. 2nd series cab did away with the soft top and converted over to regular hung doors. They also  went to a crank out windshield. We sell the windshield cranking mech for the cars and trucks from 35 to 38.

We have the molding that goes across the dash.

$_57 (3).JPG

Late 35 to 36 has the crank our windshield and the 3 hole gauge. Sometime in late 35? they added a glove box. 1935 Dode truck (8).jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

4 hours ago, vicpanza said:

Really, thanks again for all this info.  Lots of great pictures and videos. Two questions: are the wire wheels correct for this year, and what is it about the box that makes you believe it's not correct. I see the headlight issue. Really appreciate everyone's feedback and all the details you've picked out. 

Seller did have a build card and original engine code is T5-3193. Build date is Feb 5, 1934. So how difficult to find a T5 coded engine. Other then the serial number, this engine would be identical to the truck model? 

Not the horns on this, assume they are correct?

Horns on the outside like the red 34 pictured above was an option. We have the horns, stands, and the correct headlights. 

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

• 9 months later...