STuTZ Bearcat Running Board Seat?

Guest Brentman001

Guest Brentman001

STuTZ Club Members,

I have what family lore has said is a seat from the STuTZ Bearcat that my grandfather owned when he was a young man back in the 20's.  From what I've heard, the seat was kind of an overflow seat that mounted on the running board.  The car is long gone, but the seat has been sitting in his shed, my dad's barn and finally my garage since then.  I wasn't sure if the story was true or not, but I thought the seat was neat and have kept it for all these years.

The seat has a cast iron frame that looks like it mounts in a V-shaped pocket and is secured by a set screw.  It has a handle at the top of the base that releases a latch that allows the seat to swivel on the base.  The seat bottom flips down.  The seat and back were made of a soft type of hardwood (probably poplar) with caning on the seat and a solid poplar back that were both upholstered with leather with horsehair stuffing.

The wood and leather were pretty rotten, but still barely holding together.  I just took it to a local Amish furniture refinisher to re-cane the seat.  He had to rebuild the seat and back because the old wood was rotten and coming apart.  This recent activity peaked my interest in the seat and story again and I searched online to see if I could find pictures of a seat like this.  I came across the story of the 1921 Bearcat barn find that has been making the news lately, and was looking at the pictures online.  Lo and behold, in one of the pics online, someone is sitting in a seat mounted on the running board of that car.  Maybe the family story was true after all...

IMG_2417.JPGIMG_2413.JPGIMG_2414.JPGDo any of you recognize this seat as one that could be from a STuTZ Bearcat?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brent Hutchinson

IMG_2415.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG