D'jo

During restoration or in your new purchase, what did you found

Hi I did that on différents Facebook group and the reaction was very funny. I want to know: What did you found in a car during restoration or just after purchase it? I can be a friend story, I just want to know. Ciao

From 1960 through 1990 my father repossessed cars in Iowa from California & other out of state banks.  He found things like grass, panties, and old food under the front seats.  Trunks were another thing, TV's, lots of car parts, tools, children's toys, and once a tub of chicken manure.  In most cases he went to the door and they gave him the keys & asked to remove their possessions.  What you see on TV is repo work for small loan companies and Buy Pay Here shops.  He refused to take a contracts from them.  In the early 70's he picked up a 1971 Mustang with a 350 CC motor cycle on the back bumper rack.  Another time he picked up an abandoned Buick with a disassembled Harley in the trunk.

In 2006 I sold a car and left a gift card down in the seat, the new owner called to tell me they had it.

6 minutes ago, huptoy said:

From 1960 through 1990 my father repossessed cars in Iowa from California & other out of state banks.  He found things like grass, panties, and old food under the front seats.  Trunks were another thing, TV's, lots of car parts, tools, children's toys, and once a tub of chicken manure.  In most cases he went to the door and they gave him the keys & asked to remove their possessions.  What you see on TV is repo work for small loan companies and Buy Pay Here shops.  He refused to take a contracts from them.  In the early 70's he picked up a 1971 Mustang with a 350 CC motor cycle on the back bumper rack.  Another time he picked up an abandoned Buick with a disassembled Harley in the trunk.

In 2006 I sold a car and left a gift card down in the seat, the new owner called to tell me they had it.

Occasionally you find some people so honest it  is scary.

I picked up a 1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage parts car in Michigan two years ago. Car was rough but most everything was there. I found under the seats a 1965, 1966, and a 1967 Topps Mickey Mantle Baseball cards, pretty bad shape and pretty much worthless but growing up as a Mantle fan it was pretty cool to find

• Like 1

A while back.Under a 59 Chevy front seat I fond a little bit of flooring, some rust but mostly pavement..

Bought a Chev pickup a few years ago, the doors were full of small change. I think there was $20 or $30 worth. I guess the previous owner had the habit of dropping change down beside the window glass.

There was a thread just like this in General Discussion a year or two ago, but I cannot remember the title.

During the restoration of my 1931 Model A Town Sedan I found a 1931 half dollar coin in the bottom of one door. A lot of money to lose track of back in the depression days! A friend mounted the coin in a wood shift knob and it hopefully will stay with the car.

Found a wrap around  aluminum bicycle license tag from 1910 being used to hold turn signal wires onto the bumper of a Model A.

Started taking this engine apart and commented that the last overhaul had been done with a pall peen hammer.  When I removed the pan there was a hammer wedge in the bottom.

I bought my 1933 Chevrolet Master 5 Window Coupe in 1971.  The previous owner only had it for around 3 years and never did much to it except of an occasional drive.  The car was mostly original except the head light lenses / reflectors had been removed then replaced with seal beam adaptors and newer headlights along with a newer generator and regulator from a 1950s Chevrolet.

The seat adjustment mechanism was stick so I needed to remove the front seat cushion to repair it.  Between the cushion and floor pan were all the original parts wrapped in towels and when I put them back on everything worked fine.  The generator is still on the car, but back in the 1980s I did replace the brushes.  

Edited by Vila (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In the glove box of my 55 Thunderbird I found a parking ticket dated Aug.19. My birthday.

Neil

When I was in high school a friend bought a 56 Plymouth.

In cleaning it up he found a pistol under the back seat.

It so happens that his dad was the chief of police and ran the numbers and no flags came up.

He still has the pistol.

• Like 1

Ref #11: never used a ball pein hammer to make a gasket ? Ball end is great for making holes.

• Like 1

In the 1904 Cadillac I found a small 2-1/2 D. gold coin that I thought was a penny, a 3-cent piece,  a dime from the '20's, and two indian head pennies. Nothing in the '12 Brush. Over the years I always found coins in all the model T's and A's. A '30 A rumble seat coupe had quite a few coins in the rumble seat area behind the seat. In my last model A door pocket, I found a small leather pouch with a snap on the flap, and inside was perfect Schrader tire gauge 0-50 psi. 

Edited by caddyshack
spelling error (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Most of what I found (or did not find) was very rusty or completely missing.sheet metal, Did find city vehicle tax stamps from 1980-81 in the remains of the glove box. 1960 Edsel.

Back when I was a young technician at a Buick dealer I would, at times, do new car pre-delivery inspections. Occasionally, I'd find something interesting somewhere in the car.  Once, in a 1985 Lesabre, I found a work glove finger with someone's finger in it.  Another time, in a 87 Estate Wagon I had to chase down a rattle noise that turned out to be a bolt with a paper tag that read, "how long did it take you to find this one?"  One car, a new 1980 Regal, I was sent to road test because a salesman said it had a wobble in the steering.  The car had not been inspected yet so he shouldn't have been driving it.  Instead of driving the car, I put it on a lift and found there was no nut holding the pitman arm to the pitman shaft on the steering box.  The pitman arm was loose and could have fallen off at any time.  When I showed it to the salesman he didn't believe it was dangerous so I gave it a little tug and watched him as the arm came off in my hand.  He shook his head and walked away.  I later found out he'd sent a perspective buyer out in the car to try it and it was the customer who had told him about the loose steering.  Ultimately, the sales manager started to enforce the 'don't drive any car that hasn't been inspected' rule again.

WParo in VT

• Like 1

We restored a '20 Kissel Gold Bug. Upon disassembling the carb we discovered that the float was missing. In its place was a note which read "I'm sorry but I really needed this float".

One of my best friends deals in vintage Harley Davidson parts. He has amassed several semi trailer loads of parts over the last 30 or 40 years.

He was looking at an old hard to find tail light that a customer wanted sent to him.

When he took it apart here was a baggie full of white powder.

He has no idea of where he got it or how long ago.

I don't remember very much if there was any more to that story. LOL

Found a decent size snake skin under the driver seat, went right along with the mouse skeletons.  I imagine the snake ate well in the car for a period of time.

• Like 1

In a $400 Mustang I found over $50 in change in the ash tray and dropped under the center console.

In a 1988 AMC Eagle I found a Mercury dime from the 1950s

and in an 1992 Lincoln I found $100 in Toys' R Us gifts cards (Still good since PA does not allow them to expire).

I did find a 30 year old love note from his girlfriend that I returned to the owner. Turned out she had died tragically and the note obviously was a touching memento he hadn't thought of for many a year.

• Like 1