Do you remember when the cars were name?

Guest CoolJ

Just had a look at this thread and it brought back a couple of memories., My grandfather called his '29 Plymouth  Suzabelle.  She was the car in which my mother and I apparently came home from the hospital in '47. She used to sit quietly in the old timber frame driving shed, wheels slowly sinking into the dirt, and I played happily around her as a young child. Then  one sad day a salvage guy came and towed her away.   

Then there was a customized '53 or so powder blue Chevy convertible I found mouldering in a local wrecking yard in the middle sixties with "Le Reve"  (French for The Dream) painted on the trunk lid. Apparently Le Reve had at some point turned into a bad dream and was abandoned. Those were the days of youthful dreaming and shallow pockets. I looked wistfully at the sad remains but there was just no way. :(

Some cars get names, others don't.

The first car I remember being named was the Model A my uncle Stan drug home, my Grandma called it Gabriel as it reminder her of a tired old plow horse from her childhood. My uncle Stan never named his cars, but he always named his motorcycles.

I've never really named a car but I have referred to a couple by size and color, to do that and have it make sense you do need two or more of the same color.  Always thought that Hoover would be a good name for a car that sucks and if I ever get a car that really sucks I will call it Hoover.

Around here it was more an ethnic thing.

I remember a black 1960 Chevy with cruiser skirts that had "Ebony" painted on trailing edge of both skirts, and a dark blue 66 Pontiac hardtop that had "Chicken Wing" painted on the roof sail panels. As a kid I thought it was cool and kustom, but as I've grown older I realize it was just tacky.

Is there anywhere else in the world where the owner would have his initials painted midway of the door, just under the window? That was very common here.