1968 riviera paint code

mach1

Hi All,

I just purchased a 68 riviera and the paint code on body plate shows OO.

I cannot find any reference to this code on any sites.

The car is actually midnight teal blue which I thought the code was B according to the web sites.

Second owner who I bought car off says the paint is original.

Could this be a one off paint job from the factory.

Thanks mach1

Only know that there is no 'O' paint code for the '68 cars?, and Code B is Midnight Teal Metallic as you stated.

Code C - Artic White is the only white listed for '68 cars, but it was not used on Riviera.

The Midnight Teal Metallic (...Code B) is an exclusive Riviera colour !

Here is the vehicle in question.

Check spare tire well and other areas for other color just incase it is not original paint. Perhaps it is similar. 

Maybe the blue pin line on side and hood calls for a 00 code? I notice 68 has a very high 00 ordered compared to other riviera years (527).

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 12.46.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 12.08.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 6.57.19 PM.png

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your purchase. Looks like a nice car.

First determine for fact its original paint. Check door & trunk jambs, spare tire well as Chimera mentioned and look closely for signs of overspray around badging, trim, and weather stripping. Note: Many people are not able to determine what is original paint so you must do your own analysis rather than take ones word for it.

How were you able to confirm the color is its midnight teal Code B?

If you determine that the paint might not be original, I found a paint code O for 1968.  It's Pontiac only color called Coronado Gold.  ??????

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&paint=11460&ditzler=22728&syear=1968&smanuf=GM&smake=&smodel=Pontiac&sname=Coronado Gold&rows=50

Another 1968 paint code O is a Corvette color called, what else, Corvette Bronze

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&paint=79175&ditzler=22969&syear=1968&smanuf=GM&smake=&smodel=&sname=Corvette Bronze&rows=50

Hi Felix,

congratulations on another Riviera down under. If it keeps going at this rate, there will be more Rivieras here in Oz than the States. This forum is a great resource as well as the Riviera Owners Association. Good luck and keep us posted,

Rodney

Encounter Bay

South Australia

• 3 months later...

I finally got the car home after 3 months from date of purchase.

The car is in mint condition,a credit to the previous owner.

The paint code on the data plate is definetly 00.

Looking in the hard to get places like in trunk and engine bay and under car

the original paint is still there and its definetely "midnight teal" which is code B.

I had some paint mixed to touch up some stone chips and it is a perfect match.

Hi Felix, 

Santa has come early this year, well done, enjoy the ride!

Rodney

BTW the boot light switch and globe holder are all in one as a sealed unit if it is a Mercury switch lamp. By bending the bracket slightly to adjust the angle it should go OFF just past the horizontal . You might need a helper to lay in the boot ( trunk) to make sure it stays OFF when closed. It may have been mounted up the wrong way too!

In an earlier post, I've shown what paint code O could have been in 68.  OO would not be a code.  Two letters were used for two tone paint, one each for upper and lower body colors or body color AND a vinyl top.  If the same letter is used twice, it's just one color but both spaces needed to be filled in.  

IMHO, unless you can find the person who operated the stamping machine and the original paper work, this will never be resolved.?

Not OO, but O was a 68 GM color. It was bronze or go.down depending on whether it came on a Pontiac or a Corvette.

As I said in a previous post the data plate showed two letters - one for the upper body and one for the lower body.  If the car was a solid color, the code was duplicated on the data plare.

I would think that OO is showing special order paint (for top and bottom of car). Don't think this is a non-Riviera GM color, but if it was, would it still not be a special order code? O??? 

I did notice that the special order paint is very high for this year, so I speculated that a common variation perhaps called for an O code.

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 12.01.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 12.01.31 AM.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 4:41 PM, mach1 said:

Hi All,

I just purchased a 68 riviera and the paint code on body plate shows OO.

I cannot find any reference to this code on any sites.

The car is actually midnight teal blue which I thought the code was B according to the web sites.

Second owner who I bought car off says the paint is original.

Could this be a one off paint job from the factory.

Thanks mach1

What a case. How did I miss this when it was up for sale? Would love to see interior photos.

Mr. Felix got one rare GS gem. Cheers all! 

Would it be possible to get a picture of the entire trim tag that isn't blurry?  I notice that it says SPL on the trim and paint code line, I'm wondering if that applies to the trim or the paint  If the trim number is one of the trims available on the Riviera, then I'm guessing the SPL applies to the paint, but I can't see the trim number.

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:58 PM, Chimera said:

Can we get some pictures of the interior Dr. Watson? Evidently the word on the streets is that this has special order paint AND special interior. Lets see if we can figure out what the interior addition is.

. . . could it simply be that the SPL actually applies to the 00 paint ? hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

• Like 1

That would be funny Ed. Basically a mistake at the factory, which of course I am sure happened more than we think.

It could be a reference to the paint, certainly, but I would definitely not rule out the possibility of an added interior feature. MAYBE, this car was a custom order vehicle (specifically chosen features), but NOT a special (outside the normal options) order and so they created a special plate in referencing the custom order, in which case Ed's theory could be on target. Like when first generation models have that star symbol. I don't know that the star symbol means that, but I do know that our Grandfather ordered specifically what he wanted, a black 64 with red interior and very few upgraded options, and there is a star on the plate. 

I find it interesting to investigate these vehicles. Fun stuff: However, as RoA members we are scientists damn it, and we need to see the data! So I prefer pictures of the interior over my speculations.

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

Not having owned a 66 or 67 for quite a few years but just looking at the seat bun inserts for the front seats,to me it appears that they have been reupholstered.  The seams don't match the lean backs or the back seats.  OR, it could be camera angle and my point of view.  Either way, it has nothing to do with the trim code.  

Ed

Like the headlight system in '68-'69 Riviera, those 'power door locks' were vacuum operated, and had miles of 1/8" colour coded hoses running from the lower firewall vacuum manifold through the centre of the dash panel to a control relay and out into each door through the rubber conduit that also housed the power window harness.

Like the headlight system, all you needed was one split hose, or vacuum leak to render the locks useless  ! They are a fairly rare option, and not to many Riviera owners chose them.  They are well covered in the '68 Shop Manual ! 

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

It even has cruise control. Very uncommon in 68. And it has headrests also very rare in 68. Does it have a reclining passenger seat too?

Lastly does this car have front and/or rear shoulder belts? If I understand correctly front shoulder belts didn't become mandatory until January of 68 so prior to that they would have been optional.

Interesting Fisher tag for sure;.Does the SPL- mean mean special interior trim? So far we can't determine what is special. It has the early style door pulls but it is a Nov build so that is probably normal. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

13 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

. . . could it simply be that the SPL actually applies to the 00 paint ? hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

In this case I think the combination of SPL and OO do indicate special order paint, which is why I asked to see the trim code, to verify that it was one of the trims available from the factory on the Riviera.  Most of the special car order trim tags I've seen are from Flint for other models than the Riviera and they use the SCO notation in either the trim code or paint code location to indicate a special order.  It would appear that Euclid used SPL instead of SCO to indicate a special car order.  I've only seen one other trim tag from Euclid with SPL on it, but it’s not clear what the special order was for.  For special order paint, the actual paint color was often listed on the build sheet if you are lucky enough to find one.

1968 Buick Trim Tag 13.jpg

According to Darwin Falk's  Options Not Included: 1968 Interior in the Jan/Feb 2009 Riview:

• The change from the small hard plastic door pull to the long vinyl door pull strap occurred in early 1968.  This would fit with the data plate indicating a build in the fourth week of November 1967.
  • A total of 4.8% of 1968 Rivieras were ordered with headrests. Of these, 1.7% had the headrests as a stand-alone (perhaps the term sit-alone would be more appropriate) option.  The rest of the 4.8% of 1968 Rivieras with headrests were ordered with the recliner option which included the headrests.  Darwin gives a further breakdown in the article for the various interior types.
  • Front shoulder harnesses were optional prior to 1/1/68.  Thereafter they were standard.
  • 0.7% of 1968 Riviera were ordered with rear shoulder harnesses.  

Jim Vesely

BCA # 39477

ROA # 7437