Unknown rims

Peter P

By USA standards, the rim is very unusual in the location of the valve stem relative to the split latch. Usually, the valve stem is about four to six inches from the split. I don't know a lot about Canadian rims. They may be different. That design would seem to be more difficult to mount onto the felley unless there is a notch in the felley for the latch to slip through. (The valve stem must drop in first.)

20 inch size rims are a little difficult to come by. The size was only used for a very short time by some manufacturers.  They were in use by 1925 and continued on cars at least until '28. My '27 Paige 6-45 uses 20 inch rims, as did the '25 Studebaker standard I had many years ago. I have seen Buicks and Chevrolets using that size as well. None of those used rims with double ridges running around the inside. Again, Canadian issue could be different.

20 inch rims are fairly rare, but not truly rare. I have some very old tires I want mounted on rims for posterity. I have been looking for 20 inch rims for years for that purpose, and found very few. Your rims are very rusty, and I can see in the one photo that that rim is not quite round either (it can be straightened). Rusty rims like you show would be perfect. But they are not worth the cost of shipping (unfortunately).

I hope Layden B will chime in here. He knows rims better than anyone else I have ever known. Maybe he could know what that is from. I do hope you can find the proper home for it on the right car.

W2

First..Rim size is determined by the inside diameter of the tire. By the tire markings I am thinking this is a 20" rim. Also width of the rim between the beads is less than the tire size so perhaps this is a 4" wide rim, maybe 3 1/2.

rim measuring.jpg

I believe your rim is a Kelsey 689. From this listing you should be able to deduce the application. The number of slots refers to the number of gaps in one of the ridges on the wheel side of the rim. Hope this works.

.kelsey 689.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dale mcclain
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 3:48 AM, nzcarnerd said:

Might be 1928-29 Plymouth.

looks like the rims on my 28 dodge but not the same size. could be earlier model.

I have wheels from a 1928 Dodge Brothers Senior. The split is directly opposite the valve stem.  The split locking pin on the rim fits on a cutout on the spare tyre carrier. The tyre sizes are 600/650 19 .with 6 notches. I think some Dodge wheels are 450/500 19 with 4 notches that will also fit on the spare wheel  carrier of the Senior. I have on of those I want to sell.  It may be from a FAST FOUR.. The one in the picture looks to be from a Dodge Brothers.