Philips Custom Body Co. Warren Ohio

I am looking for 2 Philip Body plates that screw to the front of the lower cowl. I am told this Co. built open bodies for Stutz, Sterns Knight, Packard, and Wills. They are small brass ovals that look very close to the Fisher body plates that are still in use today. I can e-mail a photo of this tag to you.It has a coach with horses and two banners with the Philips logo. Thanks, KK

Contact Ernest Toth Jr. He has reproduced these in stainless steel and they are excellent. What type of car/body style do you have?

• 2 weeks later...

Question: Should all Philips bodies use two of these tags? <P>I have a 1928 Phaeton that I understand is a Phillips body but has no tags on it, so I am glad to know they are being reproduced.<P>thanks,<P>Victor Milke

Victor, I have seen about 15 of the 80 Wills left in the world, in all different body styles. So far I have seen that Wills used at least 4 different Custom Body builders in the 7 years they were produced. Philips only made the 1925/26 Cabriolet Roadster body for Wills. However all of the other three body companies had a Plate on the lower front cowl from the respective builder of the cars I have seen. My understanding is that the Lebaron Body Co. bought Philips in 1929, so.... I would think your 28 Stutz Phaeton should also have them. My orig. screw holes are such that the tag is tight to the front cowl band and tight to the splash apron when installed. If you need Ernest Toths phone number send me an e-mail. KRK Sr.

KRK: Thanks for your posting. I do have E.Toth's phone nr., but I still would like to find out wether the 28 Stutz phaeton should deffinately use these plates or not. Maybe he will now.<P>Thanks again.<P>Victor.

• 14 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi rkp5555,

I just saw your posting. I don't know the answer to your question, but some years ago Ernie Toth senior told me he believed there might be around 5 surviving phaetons... I have pics of some more than those that I can make available to you.

Please contact me directly at: vmilke at nutryplus dot com

Thanks,

victor

Edited by v.milke (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

It is interesting that this thread is back. I had some tags cast in brass years ago, they are still in as cast condition, needing polished, plated and filled with black paint . If any Stutz Philips cars need them I have them for sale. I have also seen a 1928 Pierce and 1928 Packard in Convertible Coupes that have survived with Philips bodies. I often wonder if they were unsold Wills 26-27 bodies.  Karl

Well... I never found out it Stutz cars used those plates or not. If they used them, I sure would love to purchase a set from you... but my life is full of things I have purchased and never could use... so I would really love to find out.

Any Stutz experts our there that could confirm if Stutz Phaetons (bodied by Phillips) used those plates?

Thanks!

victor

• Like 1

K Beach, vmilke, I will post a photo of them when I get home with one of my originals. Price $15 each plus shipping. They should fit in a padded envelope for $3. Let me know and we will proceed. THe Wills, Pierce, and Packard that I saw all had two badges. Karl

• 5 months later...
Guest rkp5555

Interested in what Philips body style you have. I've not seen another Philips 4 passenger phaeton. The tags are at the bottom of the cowls just in front of the A pillars

5 minutes ago, rkp5555 said:

Interested in what Philips body style you have. I've not seen another Philips 4 passenger phaeton. The tags are at the bottom of the cowls just in front of the A pillars

thanks, perhaps i have them in a box then...

14633038_1249658348408963_3067077013443305387_n.jpg

• 1 year later...

I see this thread has been inactive for a while, but I'll reply anyway.  I have a Stearns-Knight 5-passenger coupe with an aluminum body which I'm pretty sure was made by Philips (they built the regular coupes).  My car has no tags on it, and I didn't find any screw holes anywhere on the lower cowl as you mention.  Stearns-Knight used several body builders, and on most of them the body tag was inside the car, on the lower forward part of the right door.  I didn't find one there either, but it's hard to tell because the upholstery in that area was in pretty poor condition.  Anyway, if the reproduction badges are still available, I'd like to buy a couple.  I can be contacted directly at duane at duaneperrin dot com.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...