Recommended Posts

My 55 Ford 272 starts fine, it idles fine, and drives ok, but when the engine becomes  hot it will hesitate and will not drive at a normal speed. Any ideas ?  Thanks Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Alfre said:

use a carb heat insulater under the carb    

I will try that. I have tried just about everything else.  Thanks  Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I installed a half inch insulator under the carb but it did not help. I did a compression check and everything is ok there. Points and condenser are good.  It has a new carb,fuel pump, fuel tank and lines. My parents bought this car new so I know the history of the car. Any help will sure be appreciated.   Thanks Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

try poring cold water over the coil when hot, if this helps replace coil with a new one.

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI  Alfre I have tried two coils Did not help. 

 

  Thanks Neil

19 minutes ago, Alfre said:

try poring cold water over the coil when hot, if this helps replace coil with a new one.

Al

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neil - rather than changing parts, maybe some testing.

 

You have done a compression test. So it probably boils (no pun intended) down to fuel or spark.

 

Find a clip on volt meter capable of measuring 20k volts. Check the voltage of the spark plug wires at the plugs both cold, and after the issue starts. Even though you have replaced several items including the coil, I would bet on ignition.

 

Have you tried removing the fuel cap (for testing purposes only) to check for a pressure lock on the fuel tank?

Have you placed a fuel pressure gauge at the carburetor to check fuel pressure both cold and hot?

 

Jon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carbking said:

Neil - rather than changing parts, maybe some testing.

 

You have done a compression test. So it probably boils (no pun intended) down to fuel or spark.

 

Find a clip on volt meter capable of measuring 20k volts. Check the voltage of the spark plug wires at the plugs both cold, and after the issue starts. Even though you have replaced several items including the coil, I would bet on ignition.

 

Have you tried removing the fuel cap (for testing purposes only) to check for a pressure lock on the fuel tank?

Have you placed a fuel pressure gauge at the carburetor to check fuel pressure both cold and hot?

 

Jon.

 Carbking  Thanks for your response. All the new parts were not add to solve the problem.  They were part of the restoration. The problem  started after restoration. My next test was going to check the fuel pressure. The fuel tank is vented. 

 

 

Thanks Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neil - one thing I have learned (several times ;) ) over the last 50 years is that new parts don't always work!

 

That is one reason why testing is so important. As an example, we have personally tested a "new" fuel pump of a major well-known brand (but new enough to be made off-shore) that put out more than 15 psi. Would you believe the carburetor was flooding???

 

Jon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, carbking said:

Neil - one thing I have learned (several times ;) ) over the last 50 years is that new parts don't always work!

 

That is one reason why testing is so important. As an example, we have personally tested a "new" fuel pump of a major well-known brand (but new enough to be made off-shore) that put out more than 15 psi. Would you believe the carburetor was flooding???

 

Jon.

  Thanks Jon  the fuel pressure will be the next thing I do,  if I can find one  to borrow.

 

         Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  

 Well I checked the fuel pump and the carb and they are both working fine. I also checked the valve springs and they are ok. The        vacuum advance and yes it is working.  Help

 

Thanks Neil   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...