1956 steering gear box

ghaskett

Guest badlld123

I put the 500 cpp box for a 56 chevy on my car. I had to drill a couple of holes but it works great. I also installed an after market tilt column.

This`s what a friend of mine used on his 1956 Buick Roadmaster,I helped him to change it, and they was really not a "bolt on".The easiest should have been if the engine was out ,but it wasn`t.He used the old power steering pump but we had to reduce the flow just becuse it was scheaming sound in the pump.The pitman arm fitted from the old to the new gear box.

The first picture show how it looks with the engine out,(e-buy picture)The next pictures from my friends car,and some parts had to be made.

Leif in Sweden.

Buick 1956 Nytt styrservo vet ej vems.JPG

Styrsnäcka 004.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

Styrsnäcka 001.JPG

Styrsnäcka 003.JPG

Styrsnäcka 1956 001.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leif Holmberg said:

This`s what a friend of mine used on his 1956 Buick Roadmaster,I helped him to change it, and they was really not a "bolt on".The easiest should have been if the engine was out ,but it wasn`t.He used the old power steering pump but we had to reduce the flow just becuse it was scheaming sound in the pump.The pitman arm fitted from the old to the new gear box.

The first picture show how it looks with the engine out,(e-buy picture)The next pictures from my friends car,and some parts had to be made.

Leif in Sweden.

Buick 1956 Nytt styrservo vet ej vems.JPG

Styrsnäcka 004.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

Styrsnäcka 001.JPG

Styrsnäcka 003.JPG

Styrsnäcka 1956 001.JPG

Love it! Power steering for all! Ahhhh!

The newer gears should have much faster ratios for less turns from side to side and quicker steering response?  Seems like there are some aftermarket steering columns which also support "electric power steering" (which is now OEM on many cars, which is how we get "self-parking" cars, which also have distance sensors in the bumpers, run by the BCM). 

One possible issue with the smaller boxes might be how they relate to the weight of the vehicle for long-term durability . . . one reason GM used the smaller boxes on "Vegas" and the GM800 box on full-size cars and light trucks.  There was one aluminum power steering gear from the later 1980s K-10 ( 1/2 ton 4wd) vehicles which I remember looking like it would be a good alternative to the "Vega" steering box, back then.  Would go in the same place as the GM800 box.

How did the owner restrict the pump's output?  Reason I ask is that some Jaguar to Chevy V8 conversions have similar issues.  Were any checks of the pressure made?Just curious. 

NTX5467

We put a tube inside the tube,but had to test a lot of times! see photo.O yes the ratio is much better with the new gear box ,and I think i was a rebuilt gear box from Jeep Cheroki or Grand Cheroki around 1996.We never checked the pressure,we just tested different diameters inside the tube?

Leif in Sweden.

IMG_1110 - Kopia.JPG

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've actually been contemplating a swap like this because there is a huge dead zone in my gear box, even after a rebuild. Was there any modification to the steering column? Which brackets went where?

I'd be more inclined to use a larger gear box out of a full size car, but anything would be better than my original unit at this point. The gentlemen that owns the yard I get parts from has a 56 Olds and he used a gear box out of a mid 70s full size, but then also sourced the pump that came with the car. He couldn't recall what model it was other than a GM full size.

Lets presume it was a '75 Olds Delta 88, LeSabre, Catalina, or Caprice/Impala.  The power steering pumps were pretty much standardized at that point.  The "normal" Saginaw power steering pump.  Where the return line fitting attaches, there's a fitting which unscrews.  Behind it is a sleeve with an orifice at one end.  That's where the pump's regulation comes from, as to ultimate pressure . . . as I understand it.  I researched this for a friend in the aftermarket.  He'd put a reman pump on his Chevy K-Blazer and the power steering was super easy, so less output was needed.  As it turns out, there were basically four different "fittings" which covered GM full-size, mid-size, and light trucks.  Getting a pump from a known vehicle can be important!  From there, if desired, you can do a "rotor and vane kit" and a seal kit, plus clean and paint, to spiff it up.

The GM800 box is as flexible in its specs as the QuadraJet spreadbore carb is!  In the middle 1960s, "variable ratio" was a new concept (slower ratio on-center, faster ratio a little ways "off-center") was supposed to make the car less twitchy on the highway.  There's the "fast ratio" 2 turns side-to-side or the normal 3.5 turns side-to-side ratio.  Then there are the multitude of "sriffness/resistance" inner torsion bars inside of the box.  Determines the base effort of the steering, from "easy" to "firm feel".  Probably a few variations of mounting flanges, too, plus "inside the frame" or "outside the frame".  This flexibility is one reason it is preferred by many road racers/circle trackers for their cars.

As "universal" as things might appear, there were also some differences in the pressure line connections on the gear box valve body.  About model year 1980 is when things changed.  BUT unlike in earlier times, there is now a drop-in adapter to convert the later fitting to an earlier fitting.  Seems like the AGP website details this adapter?  Possibly others?

The early-1960s Jaguar/Chevy 350 V-8 conversions (with very easy steering that didn't return by itself, plus a constant "hisssss" which seemed to be coming up through the steering column) kind of make the case of a somewhat-matched "pair" of power steering pump and steering gear.

When I got my '68 5467, the steering was "easy" and needed help to make it return from a turn.  I played with the adjustment on the top of the gear box until I was afraid to go farther, but at that point, the power assist started to feel normal and the gear would return from a turn by itself (as it should).  So everything has to work together for best results.

NTX5467

Beemon.Nothing was done at the steering column,sorry,can`t remember exact where the brackets fitted,but the frame under the steering gear box are curved that`s one of the reasen to use some distances brackets.One (or 2)are used just becuse the new gear box bolt(bolts) goes on outside the frame and I think one tube distanc was used there too.

Leif in Sweden.

I have sent a question and a picture to "Lares" and here is his answer.Unit #1332.

Leif in Sweden.

I believe this is the correct unit. It’s commonly used for these types of conversions.

The price without a core would be $223.78 + S&H.

Thanks,

Dan Jones

Lares Corporation

Shipping Manager/Account Manager/Technical Support

763-691-1400

763-691-1414 Fax

danjones@larescorp.com

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, 1956century said:

The steering box pictured in this thread is a 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee unit, available at most wrecking yards.  I have picked one up and will document when I do my install.  

NAPA #PS 391058

Good to know, if I ever get around to this swap. Looking forward to your progress.

• 3 years later...
On 10/6/2016 at 1:49 PM, 1956century said:

The steering box pictured in this thread is a 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee unit, available at most wrecking yards.  I have picked one up and will document when I do my install.  

1956century did you ever install this Grand Cherokee steering box?